VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got a dvd that's a compilation type. It was 4 episodes. It's total size is only 7.4 gb, but when I run it through DVD Shrink or Nero Recode, both programs can only reduce to 4.8gb. I'm using the automatic compression and setting my target as the dvd-5. Even if I choose custom, I cannot slide the compression bar back any further on any of the main movies. It won't allow me.

I've been shrinking movies for several years now. I recall I ran into a similar situation a year ago, but it wasn't important. But this one is important. I need to back this up to dvd-5.

I'm pretty sure some of you may have ran into this situation with compilation dvds. Please advise. Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you try both versions 2.3 and 3.2 ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. compressing that much is to be avoided, use the re author option in dvd shrink, as it seems it is not a commercial dvd (?), so no special menu consideration.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    spend a dollar and put it on a dvd+r dl.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. exactly
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just run the already 'shrunk' file though DVDShrink one more time and you should be able to reduce it enough to fit on a DVD-5. The quality may suffer, but I've done it before when I had to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you insist on shrinking it that much use DVD Rebuilder (free) and use the HC encoder option.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GKar
    If you insist on shrinking it that much use DVD Rebuilder (free) and use the HC encoder option.
    Second that. Far better than Shrinking twice (or even once, at that level of reduction)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you use DVD Fab (paid version) you can use the 'split' option. I used this on my Sopranos discs to keep the quality up. Since the disc was just episodes anyway I didn't mind splitting it up - I would never do that to a regular movie. It still keeps all of the menus intact. If you have the paid version of DVD Fab you can also use the 'customize' option and take out extras that you don't need. This way the the file will be smaller when you import into DVDShrink.

Another program that is not mentioned much these days is MenuShrink. With this program you can set the menu screen to be a still picture only. This can save up to 200MB with the menu audio taken out as well. I have used this to help get bigger movies down to DVD-5 with decent quality.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote