VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I record video using my DVD player onto DVDRW discs, it burns them as vro files. When I put the DVD in my computer which has XP, it shows up as a blank DVD. I know the files are there, because when I put the DVD in my wife's computer (Vista), I can see them. I need them on my computer though because that's where my video editor is. I can move them over using an external hard drive, but it's a big hassle. Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you finalized the discs? Hardware other than the recorder you used to create the discs might not recognize the discs or that you have anything on them until you do.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I tried that, but it still won't show the files. Also, you can view the files from a computer with Vista, but not with XP so it's the computer, not the disk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A blank DVD costs $0.20. Burn it to a DVD+R and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it UDF 2.50 by any chance? B/c I had the same issue regarding that. If that is the issue you have to install a udf driver for 2.50 for xp to read the disc and vista has a built in one.

Best of luck,

Ted
    Talk nerdy to me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why would a DVD recorder be writing a disc using UDF 2.5? (No, really. Just curious.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. This topic has been discussed many times. There are two formats DVD recorders use: Video mode and VR mode. Video mode should be used if you only record one show and transfer recordings to your PC for editing, VR mode is useful if you use DVD-RW and record multiple shows. Both formats use MPEG-2 and AC3 but Video mode uses VOB's that are split into 1GB clips, VR mode uses VRO's and is one clip. DVD-Video uses UDF 1.02 while DVD-VR uses UDF 2.0.

How to make your recordings PC friendly:
    1. When recording use Video mode instead of VR mode, some PC's have a hard time with DVD-VR.
    2. Finalize your discs.
    3. If your PC doesn't recognize DVD-VR then use IsoBuster to extract. If you use XP then install UDF Reader.
    4. Once you get the VRO files on your PC then change the extension to MPG(ex:movie.MPG).
    Quote Quote