VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Sorry I'm new so I'm posting here because I'm not sure where it goes.
    On my old laptop, when I watched videos on MPC, the videos were never the size of my screen, they were usually 800x600 or smaller. However even when I watched full screens the subtitles would still be clear.

However now on another laptop I'm forced to use, when i do fullscreen, the video is zoomed in so the pixels show very clearly, and the subtitles are not clear, nor are the images themselves.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this through the settings of MPC? My other one wasn't like this so I assume it's some setting I haven't gotten to yet. Or is this my computer's problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you play movies in a window and the player is set to 1x size, the wildow will display at the video's actual resolution. When you select "full screen", the computer's display chipset upscales the player window to the native resolution of your display. The quality of the upscale varies by chipset.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. MPC and MPCHC have the ability to display full screen (ie, not in window) but with the original size of the video (for example, a 320x240 video will display at 320x240 with letterbox and pillarbox bars to fill out the screen). After going to full screen select Video Frame -> Normal Size.

There are other settings that can have an effect on this too:

View -> Options -> Playback -> Output (box) -> Change Fullscreen Resolution. This controls whether the player changes the screen resolution (like 3D games typically do) before playing the video.

View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> VMR7/9...Settings -> Use Texture...3D -> Resizer... controls the resizing filter used. Nearest Neighbor is very blocky. Bilinear is smooth, not so sharp. Bicubic is smooth and sharper.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I still can't get the reizing to be smooth.

My picture is what i mean, if you understand. Is this a setting with my computer or can i fix it by tweaking options in mpc?

1.png
    Quote Quote  
  5. Your image is showing an upscale with a nearest neighbor (aka point) resizing algorithm. This is usually caused by the graphics driver. Be sure you are running the latest WHQL certified driver for you graphics chip. Also be sure that video hardware acceleration (in the setup applet) is at full.

Try a different output driver in MPC. View -> Options -> Playback -> Output -> DirectShow Video (box)... try the different options. You have to exit and restart MPC for the change to take effect.
    Quote Quote