VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If so, please advise.

Here's my workflow that results in extremely choppy (unwatchable) video--audio OK.

1. Capture from DirecTV DVR using Hauppauge HD PVR. Output is a TS file. Resulting files play OK on computer and WDTV.

2. Edit using TSPE Packet Editor--usually cutting from front and back of file. Edited files play OK on computer and WDTV.

3. Author AVCHD folder using TSMuxer or MultiAVCHD. I've tried both--same result. The resulting m2ts files play OK on computer. Have not tried yet on WDTV.

4. Burn AVCHD folders using Imgburn (latest version) with UDF2.50. I've used both single layer and dual layer Verbatim discs with same result.

5. The Sony player recognizes the disc as AVCHD, but the video is extremely choppy. I've tried all of the video settings on the player with the same result.

I've seen other posts with similar problems, but no solution.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've never had any trouble with my HD-PVR or my Sony BDP-S360.

A few things you might look into:

1) You capture from satellite box, I capture from HD cable.
    2) You're running Windows 7. I don't see a specific driver for W7 on Hauppauge support, just v.1.5.6.1, which "supports 32/64 bit Vista WHQL signed". You might shoot Hauppauge support an email.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hdpvr.html?tab=5#pc

Is the above the driver version you're using? I have a patch file for the HD-PVR in a folder for Hauppauge support files, manuals, etc., but it's no longer available on the site. The name of the file is hdpvrpatch_v.1.5.6.0. IIRC, it had to do with sat boxes, but can't swear to it.

3) I don't use TSPE. Try a capture edited and authored to AVCHD with the Arcsoft editing module? Success or failure would tend to rule in or out a problem with the programs you used.

Have you tried compatibility mode? Updated the ArcSoft programs?

Just to double-check, what are your capture module settings? PC audio mode 2-channel or 5.1? Format settings: CBR or VBR? AC3 or AAC audio encoding? Output to PS3, AVCHD, or XBOX 360?

Of course it's possible that the Sony player is faulty.

Sorry, I suspect that won't help you much, but it's hard to diagnose long-distance. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fritizi93,

Thanks for the reply. Things are progressing. I first tried a new capture from the DirecTV sat box and the arcsoft software for authoring. Worked OK. I then tried a capture edited with TSPE using the Arcsoft software and it also worked OK. Thus it would appear that my problem lies with the authoring software and not the capture or editing portions. Interestingly enough, I then tried to author the newly captured clips in TSmuxer and MultiAVCHD--both programs failed. At least I know the problem is not in the Sony player itself. Again, thanks for the suggestions.
    wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try authoring a cap that isnt edited by arcsoft.Use multiavchd to author the cap.If you already tried that do you have the required codecs on your computer such as haali media splitter and ffdshow?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by johns0
    ... do you have the required codecs on your computer such as haali media splitter and ffdshow?
    That would be my next guess. Arcsoft has its own codecs. tsMuxer and multiAVCHD work fine for me, but you gotta have Haali and ffdshow.

[EDIT] wwaag, good deal, you've all but solved it. Just have to get the authoring programs working now. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    Originally Posted by johns0
    ... do you have the required codecs on your computer such as haali media splitter and ffdshow?
    That would be my next guess. Arcsoft has its own codecs. tsMuxer and multiAVCHD work fine for me, but you gotta have Haali and ffdshow.
    Yes, both Haali and ffdshow are installed--also coreAVC for H264. I'm glad to know that you have successfully used TSmuxer and MultiAVCHD. I'll keep trying. Again, thanks.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have done some new captures from the HD PVR using both the TS and M2TS formats. I cannot open either of these in TSmuxer or MultiAVCHD. In TSmuxer, it indicates that the file type (AC3 audio track) is unsupported. The video opens OK. Both of these files play OK in Windows Media Player and VLC. I can also open them in TSPE, but not TSmuxer or MultiAVCHD. MediaInfo indicates both tracks are OK. Also tried TSDoctor with same result--files seem OK. I have uninstalled and then re-installed the Haali media splitter. Also the latest version of ffdshow. Same result. This is indeed strange. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  8. This may seem improbable, but maybe you should try an earlier version of ffdshow.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is really frustrating. I am still unable to author a "watchable" AVCHD disk from either TSmuxer or MultiAVCHD. In the last few days, I've been using the new VideoReDo tool that enables h264 editing. I've even done a complete OS installation (Win 7 64 Pro) and the results are the same.

However, if I author a disc using TotalMedia Extreme (which came with the HD PVR), it works fine. I was just hoping I could get MultiAVCHD to work.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  10. Again, TME uses its own codecs. That would lead one to suspect the problem probably lies with the filter chain.

Maybe have a look with Filmerit.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fritizi93

This time I rendered from TME to the hard drive. Then burned a disc using Imgburn--worked OK, thus eliminating a burning problem. I then added the m2ts file from the TME render directly into TSmuxer and re-rendered only adding a couple of chapter points. The resulting video was again messed up, so it must be in the filter chain as you suggest.

I tried Filmerit and it indicates that there are no errors with any of my installed codecs. I then re-installed earlier versions of Ffdshow and Haali with the same result.

How do I find out exactly what codecs are being used by TSmuxer? I have Graphedit installed but don't know how to use it other than creating a graph for rendered video.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Again, thanks for your inputs.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What format is your audio in? Do you have any idea what video bit rate you are using? I'm wondering if one of those might be your problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The search continues. I did a couple more encodes today using MultiAVCHD since a new version was just released. On the first, the material was 1920x1080, 60i from the HD PVR--the result was the same--an unwatchable, jittery image. On the second, the material was from a 1280x720, 60P capture--the resulting image played perfectly.

So, for whatever reason, the problem lies only with the interlaced 60i captures. I do a lot of video editing, and the jittery imagery appears to be a field order problem--i.e. reversed. However, I don't how to change those flags to see if indeed that is the problem. Again, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  14. multiAVCHD deinterlace method is TFF and there is no option to change it in version 3.0. I'll add such option in the next release and it will fix the problem.
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Very interesting thread. Once again Hauppauge does BFF capturing. Some people here swear that their Hauppauge devices capture TFF, but I have the old PVR-350 and it definitely does BFF. I've been pretty pleased with Hauppauge, but I don't know why they do BFF capturing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by multiAVCHD View Post
    multiAVCHD deinterlace method is TFF and there is no option to change it in version 3.0. I'll add such option in the next release and it will fix the problem.
    Thanks so much. Look forward to seeing the next version hoping that indeed it will fix the problem--hopefully soon.

My next step would have been to try a different player. Interestingly enough, I took the same disc that the Sony won't play correctly, tried it in a Panasonic BD-605K at Costco and it worked perfectly, Unfortunately, they didn't have another Sony hooked up to see if it was just the player. Although the Panasonic works fine, I really wanted to keep the Sony since the Bravia sync is really a nice feature.

Again, thanks for the replies.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  17. Could you clarify one point? If I understand correctly, you can burn a TME authored AVCHD that will play without problems on your Sony BD-P360?
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's correct--a TME-authored disc plays correctly. I am actually using the BX2 (Costco version of the P360)--same player except for a backlit remote.

What I don't understand is why the discs play OK in the Panasonic, but not the Sony. It's too bad that Costco didn't have a Sony on display so I could try the disc on another unit. For all I know, the player might be the problem. I could exchange it, but that's such a hassle or just return the Sony and go with the Panny, but then lose compatability with the TV.

Hopefully, the option to reverse field order in MultiAVCHD will do the trick.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  19. Since you're at an impasse (temporarily, we hope), I have one final suggestion. It may seem like a long shot, and probably is.

In a recent thread about BDRB problems, a Windows7 x64 user was at wit's end, finally I posted the following:

-----------

If I'm not mistaken, many people running Windows 7 (particularly 64-bit) are getting fail/abort error and other obscure problems with no clearly identifiable cause. And recent threads have made me suspect that certain versions of ffdshow, Haali, and/or AviSynth may be problematic.

A recent post (Jan. 17) from jdobbs on the BDRB bug report thread has this:

"Don't use FFDSHOW X64. I have not tested it and cannot confirm it will work. Use the versions of software I have posted in the beginning of this thread. If you decide you know more than me and you want to use other versions of HAALI, AVISYNTH, X264, and FFDSHOW -- great -- but you are completely on your own. Don't come back here posting about "latest versions"... I don't know how many times I have to say that, but its really starting to get annoying now."

The versions jdobbs is referring to are:

ffdshow v.3133_20091117
    Matroska splitter v.1.9.42.1 (A.K.A "Haali")
    AviSynth v. 2.57

-----------

Switching to the versions above solved the problem in that case. Not to belabor the obvious, but jdobbs was getting tired of responding to "bug reports" of people who were using untested versions of ffdshow and haali. (That thread is now 300-odd pages). I use those exact versions. This may all not be relevant to you, but then again, maybe it is.

So try an uninstall, registry clean, reboot, install above versions, reboot, and see.

If you try this and fail, I would try one final thing: disable CoreAVC, and enable ffmpeg-mt in ffdshow. If that also fails, I think you should do an exchange of the player. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fritzi93

Still trying to solve my problem. Took your suggestion, uninstalled the 3 programs, cleaned registry, and re-installed with suggested versions. No cigar.

I also have a 32bit XP PRO OS on the same computer and tried the same versions--same result.

Just to rule out the player being the problem, I took a disc to Costco and tried it in another BX2--same result.

I'm afraid the next step is to switch the Sony for the Panny, although others have posted problems with that player as well.

The easiest alternative is to stick with using a Media Player, which works perfectly. In any case, very furstrating.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  21. Crazy thought but maybe you could try authoring a Mpeg-2 Blu-ray directory and then shrinking that down using BD Rebuilder or something?

BD Rebuilder discs play fine on my Sony, but it's not the same brand yours is. (I have the 400 disc changer)
    Quote Quote  
  22. As a test, how about you load one of your problematic *.ts files into tsSniper, export as ts, and see if tsMuxer accepts the exported file and produces a watchable Blu-Ray folder.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  23. I am having the exact same issues as wwaag. I started a thread here: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/317308-Issues-with-BD-R-and-AVCHD-playback before I found this one.

I captured all my HD content with a Hauppauge 1212 HD PVR at 1920x1080i and playback is choppy using both multiAVCHD and tsMuxer. TME, however, is fine.

I can get the files to play if I connect the player to a TV that only has 1080i output, but no dice with a 1080p set. From what I have read it looks like the issue is a BFF deinterlace method when multiAVCHD uses TFF. Correct me if I am wrong.

Like I said, I can use TME just fine but I would rather have more control over my authoring by using multiAVCHD. My Blu-ray burner came with an extensive software suite, including PowerProducer, but ironically an $80 upgrade is required to author anything HD.
    Quote Quote  
  24. BFF should work when transcoding with multiAVCHD now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just downloaded the latest version of MultiAVCHD (734). However, the "alter detected properties" box is greyed out. I also noted that if I enter the Transcode dialog, there is a message that it may not work. Any ideas? Thanks.

wwaag
    Quote Quote  
  26. You need to update. The version here seems not to be the latest. You can also do it manually with multiUPDATE.

About 'transcode may not work' - i can't help you... It depends on your codecs/decoders. There is enough info @ my forum (downloads) what versions to use for ffdshow/haali/avisynth.
    Quote Quote