VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hallo,

I am somehow stuck with my project to scan all my DVDs, convert them an make them available through a NAS on a TV.

The issue is as follows: I was able to rip the film Australia (with Nicole Kidman) and store on a hard disk (either as ISO or just the files).
    Playing the ripped version with PowerDVD or latest version of VLC works fine (with VLC opening the file vts_01_0.ifo).
    However, opening the first vob-file (vts_01_1.vob), which in fact does contain the first part of the movie does not work: during the first 5 minutes or so of the movie shows a constant flicker of the picture and the sounds – just as if the video-stream is jumping back for a couple of ms.
    I got this result with various tools (virtualdub, vcl opening just this file, x264 etc).

In the past I never had this problem: after ripping the files I simply could convert them and everything was fine.
    With this movie it seems that some sort of special configuration takes place within .ifo files?? (no expert there)

Any help of how to resolve this would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you play this vob file in PowerDVD do you notice the time index counter progressing, or does it remain at 0:00:00?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Re-rip the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I played the vob files with vlc and noticed some interesting things:

The index-time does indeed progress but not in a continuous manner: so you get the following sequence: 33->35->34->35->36
    This happens at several places. When the file is played through opening the .ifo file then this does not happen.

I checked also the other .vob files and found the following:

File 4 starts outlines a start-time of 1:08:39 and an end-time of 11:33. When the movie is played, the index stops progressing at 1:20:32 but the movie continuous to play ok.

However, file 7 outlines a start time of 56 :57 and an end-time of 6:56. When running, the index starts jumping around 1:08:39 is with file 1 and it also impacts the movie accordingly.

As per „rip again“ the following: the disc has been ripped on two different hardware systems with different dvd players and using various ripping tools (such as anydvd and others). The result was always the same.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by NSmooch
    As per „rip again“ the following: the disc has been ripped on two different hardware systems with different dvd players and using various ripping tools (such as anydvd and others). The result was always the same.
    Try ripping "movie only"?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried to rip just the main movie and dvdclone showed that there are 3 views on the main movie.
    So I played a little bit ripping each single file but also all together. A single file just has grey blocks from time to time whereas the rip of all 3 views together results in the effect described above.
    Hence seems as if this is an issue in converting a video with multiple angles. Any idea how to do this best?
    Quote Quote