VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys I'm kinda new to this stuff so please help me out as I go along. I just downloaded Avidemux so I could edit and cut scenes of video from my capture card which I capture on Total Media Extreme. When I open a file on Avidemux I get a little box that pops up that reads "If the file is using B-Frames as a refrence it can lead to a crash or stuttering. Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY. Do you want to use that mode?" I click yes and the video is practically in slow motion I click no and the whole system crashes, is there a way to fix this? I just want the video to run smooth so i can cut parts out of it.

-Thanks Evas1on
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hello,

When you say avi file, do you mean a Divx/Xvid file or a standard avi file. The reason I ask is that it is usually not a good idea to edit a Divx/Xvid file as it will probably cause a lot of problems, most notably out of sync audio. I would recommend you use the free application Virtualdub or vitualdubmod to open and edit your file.

Mark
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Mark thanks, I'm not too sure on what your asking when I said I was really new to this I was really new to this haha.. I'm pretty sure its Divx beacuse when I go to open a file i go to My Video folder and theres a Divx folder inside with many videos... On the vids it says MPG4...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah I downloaded Virtualdub and tried to open the video and got an error saying it doesnt support this file..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you can as last resort trim the video through avisynth but you'll need to convert the video

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Trim
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I convert it? omg.. I don't understand haha...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1-install avisynth

2-save this file to your desktop, its a basic avisynth script, open it with notepad and replace the video name with your video name, save the changes, make sure your video is in the desktp aswell
    http://www.mediafire.com/?mtyyj5mazu5

3- open the avisynth script with virtualdub
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay so I installed avisynth. then I saved it to my desktop how do i open it with notepad?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And what do you mean by replacing the name of the video?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Evas1on
    Hey guys I'm kinda new to this stuff so please help me out as I go along. I just downloaded Avidemux so I could edit and cut scenes of video from my capture card which I capture on Total Media Extreme. When I open a file on Avidemux I get a little box that pops up that reads "If the file is using B-Frames as a refrence it can lead to a crash or stuttering. Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but YOU WILL LOSE FRAME ACCURACY. Do you want to use that mode?" I click yes and the video is practically in slow motion I click no and the whole system crashes, is there a way to fix this? I just want the video to run smooth so i can cut parts out of it.

-Thanks Evas1on
    let's see if i understand what you are doing, basically you capture video, i'm assuming from a tv source, using the application "total media extreme" and the format you are capturing to is divx, correct?

a number of semi "problems":

1) you really should not be capturing to divx or any mpeg-4 asp format, you should be capturing to high bitrate mpeg-2, assuming both the capture card and the capture application allow for it, if they do that will make editing your source much easier.

2) as you noticed avidemux has a serious issue with mpeg-4 files that use b-frames as a reference, you need to use virtual dub mod:

http://virtualdubmod.sourceforge.net/

or if you're willing to spend a few bucks, or just use the demo for 30 days, tmpg express, which supports a wide variety of files and makes editing pretty easy:

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

as a general rule of thumb, for maximum quality, always capture at the highest bit rate and highest resolution your capture card and capture application support, always use losslessly compressed avi's, using something a codec like huffyuv or lagarith, but since they take up a ton of space, as i said you might want to stick with high bit rate mpeg-2, and if possible use all I frames for easy editing.

there's a couple of guys on this board that know more about capturing video that i do, maybe they'll show up and give you some additional pointers.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really appreciate the help and all but I seriously have no idea what I'm doing. Am I allowed to show you guys screen shots on this forum? to maybe help this issue?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @
    deadrats i always use divx/xvid and never had a problem but i use CBR for audio and stick with the SAP standalone profile, no problem whatsoever with a high birate when encoding

use virtualdub to cut commercials and save it without recompressing

@Evas1on:
    on the script:
    DirectShowSource("yourvideoname.avi")

replace "your video name" with the name of your video file

to open the avisynt scrit right click and select open with .....notepad
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is zero option to Open with.. just open..
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    @Evas1on

ok, very nice, you are capturing to h264 with ac3 audio at 720p60 at 5.4 mbps muxed in a mp4 container, virtual dub would be the wrong application for you, especially since you are a novice, likewise avidemux shouldn't be used, even tmpg express isn't really the way to go with your source, give this a try:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overview_en_US.html

or this:

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1175263344580#tabview=tab0
    Quote Quote