VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I've finally ditched the ole P4 3.0 Ghz Single Core and have moved up in the world. The main motivation was editing and viewing HD Video of my newborn, from my Canon HF200. And while the .mts files play much better now, I still have a complaint.

The damn horizontal interlacing lines during motion in the playback. I've used WMP that comes with the new Windows 7. I've also tried Splash Player. I have not tried any tweaking or setting changes or codec downloads at all because I don't want to muddy up the system without first knowing what will fix this issue. Plus, I don't know what I'm doing. Lol.

Can anyone advise?

I'm using an Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 2.5Ghz w/ ATI Radeon HD4650 1GB

And Happy New Year!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Look for a deinterlacing option in the player

If you can't find it, VLC has it
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Look for a deinterlacing option in the player

If you can't find it, VLC has it
    I heard that VLC has a hard time playing AVCHD (.mts) files, but I installed it anyway.

It plays worse than any other player. The deinterlace feature does take away the horizontal lines, but it replaces it with either choppy or glitchy playback overall.

Thanks though.

Any other suggestions? Would be much appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Are you saying splash doesn't have deinterlace function?

You can do it through a directshow player and use ffdshow to deinterlace. This includes WMP, MPC, MPCHC. yadif is a decent realtime deinterlacer
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    Are you saying splash doesn't have deinterlace function?

You can do it through a directshow player and use ffdshow to deinterlace. This includes WMP, MPC, MPCHC. yadif is a decent realtime deinterlacer

Okay, I've included the K-Lite Pack Codec (Mega) cause some people were suggesting it as a fix. Still no luck.

I have the feeling that I have everything that I need, but I just don't know what settings to apply.

No, splash doesn't have a deinterlacing feature as far as I can tell.

How would I use ffdshow to deinterlace using WMP or MP? I'm totally newb to the whole codec thing.

Thanks for your time btw.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you have a codec pack installed you should already have ffdshow and haali splitter installed

enable h.264 decoding to ffmpeg-mt in the codecs heading, then check mark deinterlacing. You can configure different deinterlacers, in the screenshot, I have yadif enabled. If you want double frame rate (or bobbing), checkmark that.

Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gave it a shot. Still no luck. Not w/ VLC, Splash, MPC or WMP.

I even uninstalled the K-Lite Pack thinking there's a conflict between different codecs and I then installed only the ffdshow codec and applied the changes. No luck still.

Am I missing something? Could it be something stupid like restarting the pc? Right now I only have the ffdshow codec installed, I've uninstalled everything else. Is that wrong?

thanks again for your continued help.
    Quote Quote  
  8. haali media splitter + ffdshow . These are directshow, meaning directshow players will be able to use them (MPC, WMP11)

What do you mean "no luck?" Do you see the ffdshow icon pop up when you play the video?

Are you on XP? what OS? For Win7 you need to fiddle with this:

https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Preferred_Filter_Tweaker
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No luck meaning, the interlacing lines are still there even after the settings changes in ffdshow.

I'm using Windows 7.

I'll try to fiddle w/ the filter tweaker. Not sure what exactly to fiddle with.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you don't see the ffdshow icon popup in the taskbar, it means that it's not being used for decoding, and therefore not deinterlacing. The default win7 windows media foundation filters are being used. You have to set it so ffdshow is preferred
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. Finally, since installing the filter tweaker, I'm getting smooth playback. But only w/ MPC.

WMP, VLC and Splash Player don't seem to be using the ffdshow codecs.

The icon for ffdshow is only popping up w/ MPC. I'm not complaining. But why do you think the other players aren't responsive? It's not like I set anything different in MPC.

Anyway, muchos gracias.
    Quote Quote