VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know of a good program that I can run, open a VOB and have it extract the subtitles for me?

I tried using using this one application called SubRip V1.50 Beta 4 and its driving me insane with having to go through letter by letter for over an hour and then after each sentence telling me theres a problem and showing an error of somekind that states. "This subtitle item cant be processed. Possible bad advanced OCR setup or none space between subtitle lines" then it just says item skipped. I dont know whats going on with it.

Is there a better app or way to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I never had a problem like that with Subrip. You can try DVDSubEdit instead.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vobedit or pgcdemux

The subrip is mainly used for "ocr" function where subtitle is hard coded on the video
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Working with just one VOB out of the group is also never a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by träskmannen
    I never had a problem like that with Subrip. You can try DVDSubEdit instead.
    ok well I have the VOB file opened and all setup in the DVDSubEdit program. Now how do I save them as an srt file?

also I dont wish to save subpics, I believe I wish to save the softsubtitles as text
    Quote Quote  
  6. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by darkdream4
    also I dont wish to save subpics, I believe I wish to save the softsubtitles as text
    The only way to do that is to OCR, just like you're trying to do.

ok well I have the VOB file opened and all setup in the DVDSubEdit program. Now how do I save them as an srt file?
    There is a button labeled "Run OCR" in the lower, right corner. Click it and wait while the OCR-process runs. When it is ready the button "Save as .srt" which now is grayed out should be active.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by träskmannen
    The only way to do that is to OCR, just like you're trying to do.

There is a button labeled "Run OCR" in the lower, right corner. Click it and wait while the OCR-process runs. When it is ready the button "Save as .srt" which now is grayed out should be active.
    Yeah I kinda found that out. Now the only trouble Im having is getting the subtitles to show when I use MKVMerge. They work in VLC media player but not windows media player anymore. I have it explained here. https://forum.videohelp.com/topic377981.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you need text based subtitles? If you are ok with idx/sub you can use VSRip. Also, many DVDs carry closed captions as well. You can use something like ccExtractor to extract those (or VSRip as well).
    Quote Quote