VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have spent 12 hours now reading all the postings on this subject and none of them work. I am trying to burn subtitles into a movie. Source is an mp4. I have tried almost every different output source and would like to get this to work in h264. Every time I try one of the suggestion using old, semi old and new mpeg2enc files and mencoder files and each and each time I try to burn the subtitles in the size will not change it stays very small will not change to a larger font size also on some of the suggested solution the progress bar goes from 0 to finished in 2 seconds and nothing happens..... I just want to know how to burn subtitle into a mp4 or avi file on my Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0 GHZ, 8gb memory, can some help this newby
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pgwillin
    I am trying to burn subtitles into a movie. Source is an mp4.
    You will have to use a mencoder preset (any preset that uses the mencoder engine), as those presets allow burning in of subtitles.
    The ffmpeg presets (any preset that uses the ffmpeg engine) will not function that way.

the subtitles in the size will not change it stays very small
    The issue likely is the bug in mencoder that does not respect the settings for font and text encoding, that wasn't present in an older version (2005-01-23 binaries for ffmpegX 0.0.9s). There are a few other posts on this, which you may have found in your search.

Every time I try one of the suggestion using old, semi old and new mpeg2enc files and
    The version of mpeg2enc is irrelevant if you do not encode with an mpeg2enc preset (i.e. to mpeg-1 or mpeg-2).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK. So I installed the older binary of mencoder (dated Jan 23, 2005) into ffmpegX 0.0.9y and I have fixed the font size problem.

Only now, this version of mencoder doesn't respect the font position.

Am I correct in assuming that I now have to choose between font size control with no font position control, or font position control with no font size control???
    Last edited by Vitoarc; 21st Feb 2010 at 20:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vitoarc View Post
    OK. So I installed the older binary of mencoder (dated Jan 23, 2005) into ffmpegX 0.0.9y and I have fixed the font size problem. Only now, this version of mencoder doesn't respect the font position.
    Am I correct in assuming that I now have to choose between font size control with no font position control, or font position control with no font size control?
    I can't seem to replicate your issue. On my system the size and position of SRT subtitles are controllable with the older mencoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't seem to replicate your issue. On my system the size and position of SRT subtitles are controllable with the older mencoder.
    Hmmm. I'm thinking it may have something to do with how mencoder is being swapped/where it is located.

1) Where are you storing your older version (1-23-05) of mencoder? I've been referencing mine on the desktop.
    2) Do you keep a copy of this older mencoder in /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX, or is no version of mencoder present there? I have kept a copy of this older version in the ffmpegX folder, thinking that I might have problems if there were nothing in there.
    3) Are you replacing BOTH mencoder and MPlayer, or is it just mencoder? I'm replacing just mencoder.

I'm running Tiger 4.11, but I'm not sure it matters.

I'd really like to get this to work... I appreciate your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good news, Case. The problem is fixed. You need to replace both mencoder and mplayer, I found this out for sure. I can now resize fonts and also position fonts using the older mencoder.

Here's the setup:

1) Remove the current mencoder and mplayer (that was downloaded with ffmpegX) from the /Library/Application Support/ffmpegX location. Store them somewhere else but not in this folder.
    2) Keep mencoder and mplayer (Jan 23, 2005 version) in the applications folder of the HD (for easy reference for step 3)
    3) Launch ffmpegX. Replace BOTH mencoder and mplayer (using version Jan 23, 2005) when ffmpegX prompts.

This worked for my first subtitle addition. It did NOT WORK when it came to recoding a previous .AVI that I had been working with. I received some weird script error when I tried to preview/recode the .AVI and it had nothing to do with the current subtitle addition. The error was referencing something like "font auto size to zero" so I guessed that there was an application cache that was causing this problem. I guessed right.

Using Onyx, I cleaned out all of my application cache, restarted, then relaunched ffmpegX. Everything is working now.

Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vitoarc
    I received some weird script error when I tried to preview/recode the .AVI and it had nothing to do with the current subtitle addition. The error was referencing something like "font auto size to zero" so I guessed that there was an application cache that was causing this problem. I guessed right.
    Wow, good troubleshooting there. Glad you fixed it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I realize this thread is a few months old but I'm stumped when it comes to replacing mencoder and mplayer, as the suggested link takes me to .exe (i.e. Windows) files which my Mac can't open. There are obviously Mac versions somewhere but I'm not finding them through Google. Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aha. Found the answer myself, from an even older thread. The link for downloading the previous mencoder and mplayer versions is http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/m...5.zip?download
    Quote Quote  
  10. initially i thought reverting back to the older mencoder/mplayer codecs had worked, but it only seemed to work for about 30mins.
    Firstly, it would not let me preview my sub settings at a designated checkpoint, so i couldn't see if changing the font size had worked, then secondly the conversion process lasted 3 seconds, so that was obviously wrong!
    When i replaced the newer codecs with the older ones, it was ok, until i closed the program down and re-opened it, whereby i was asked to reinstall the mencoder and mplayer codecs, as it said they where either missing or out of date. I assumed that the out of date message was logical [obviously!], as these codecs were older versions, so i tried clicking cancel and not reinstalling them again. This still didn't work.
    I've now gone back to the new codecs and the fonts that can't be changed, as it is a lot less stress and hassle than before, as i have wasted a large part of my saturday trying to rectify this problem. After a while i just though, "you know what, there's a blue sky outside, and i'm totally missing it farting around with codecs!"

Anyway, if anyone can advise me very simply, i would be most grateful,

cheers,

Barry.
    Quote Quote