VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Philips DVP3962 dvd player. I received a new HDTV for christmas. I bought an HDMI cable to hook the two together. However, the picture has a weird green saturation in colors. Everything is tinted green. I took the same cable and put it in my cable box and it produced a great picture, so I don't think it is the HDMI cable. The quality of the image coming from the dvd player is fine. i removed all color and put in a black and white movie and it looked fine. it's just color that isn't being transmitted correctly. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ha, I guess I'm the only one that has had this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Honestly, this is the first I've heard of that problem. I have the same Philips model and use the HDMI output without a hitch. I did once have a problem with a blank screen appearing, but just powered down the TV and turned it back on.

You can try a few things. First unplug the DVD player from the wall outlet for a few minutes. A real power-down can help reset the internals. You can also go into the setup menu for the DVD player and check to make sure you don't have any squirrely display settings punched in. If your TV has another HDMI port, try swapping it to see if the problem persists.

But to answer your final question: Yes, it appears you're the only one who has this problem. So far.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It could be as simple as that HDMI port being setup that way from the factory. Especially if you have used it before. Contrary to popular belief, the settings from the factory are generally pretty poor.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bigmack3000 View Post
    ha, I guess I'm the only one that has had this problem?
    No I just got my hdmi cable in the mail today and hooked it up to my philips dvp3982 and I have a red/orange color saturation problem. Did you find a way to fix your problem?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Jan. 28 I again developed the same problem with my DVP3962. [It first happened about 6 months ago, when my player was 6 months old.] Both times, I tried the other HDMI port in my TV but it still had orange screen, and bizarre colors when playing a DVD. I used the A/V cables for a few days last time, which gave a correct picture. For kicks, I then tried the HDMI again, and it worked until the other night.

This is from another site:
    the screen turns pink or orange; it develops lines and other anomalies; or sometimes the audio disappears. Reportedly, one of the color channels in the HDMI connection is inherently defective. Frequently, powering off and back on takes care of these things, but that such an interruption should be necessary indicates unpardonable engineering carelessness--and it has not been addressed, to my knowledge, in the frequent downloadable firmware corrections available on the Philips web site.

If you can, return it. If not, nurse it until it finally dies. And don't buy Philips again....I won't.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by oriana11 View Post
    Jan. 28 I again developed the same problem with my DVP3962. [It first happened about 6 months ago, when my player was 6 months old.] Both times, I tried the other HDMI port in my TV but it still had orange screen, and bizarre colors when playing a DVD. I used the A/V cables for a few days last time, which gave a correct picture. For kicks, I then tried the HDMI again, and it worked until the other night.

the screen turns pink or orange; it develops lines and other anomalies; or sometimes the audio disappears. Reportedly, one of the color channels in the HDMI connection is inherently defective. Frequently, powering off and back on takes care of these things, but that such an interruption should be necessary indicates unpardonable engineering carelessness--and it has not been addressed, to my knowledge, in the frequent downloadable firmware corrections available on the Philips web site.

If you can, return it. If not, nurse it until it finally dies. And don't buy Philips again....I won't.
    Yes mine looked exactly like that except it was red/orange. I unplugged everything (tv,dvd,hdmi cable) and plugged it back it and everything has been working so far. I guess I won't be buying philips again either.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oriana11 View Post
    Jan. 28 I again developed the same problem with my DVP3962. [It first happened about 6 months ago, when my player was 6 months old.] Both times, I tried the other HDMI port in my TV but it still had orange screen, and bizarre colors when playing a DVD. I used the A/V cables for a few days last time, which gave a correct picture. For kicks, I then tried the HDMI again, and it worked until the other night.

Yup, looks this display is missing yellow... Though, I've been a happy 5990 customer -as others- for a couple years now. Been a great unit. Though I know its a bad taste in your mouth, I wouldn't let a sample of 1 hurt any brand. If you read around, you'll get a better understanding of how a particular model fairs against others.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  9. I've powered mine off and back on several times, but the HDMI is still messed up. The first time it did this, close to a year ago, I used the A/V for awhile, then tried the HDMI later on, and it worked again. No problems until last week. I checked the HDMI last night and it's still messed up.

You're right...I've had mine about 2 years also, and it IS an awesome unit - especially for only costing $60 - except for that color glitch. For example, last night I took out the Will & Grace DVD that was in it, so I could watch the DVD that came from Netflix. Afterward, I put W & G back in - and it resumed play at the EXACT spot it had been on! Also, this boxed set of W & G had closed captioning in the first season's DVD's, but nothing after that, and customer reviews said that as well. (I sometimes have a hard time hearing, so I like to have CC on.) Well, when I had to hook up the A/V cables, the CC on the TV itself was on, and all of a sudden I have CC with W & G! That's amazing, but at the same time, I'd like A/V + CC to be another choice, alongside HDMI. Especially since I had to purchase the HDMI cable and its quality is a little better.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by oriana11 View Post
    I've powered mine off and back on several times, but the HDMI is still messed up.
    Did you just press the power button on the remote or front panel? That is not really a power cycle. Try unplugging the DVD player and your TV at the wall socket for a minute.
    Quote Quote  
  11. You're right! I unplugged both for awhile, and the HDMI works again. I have a feeling only the DVD player needed to be reset, so if/when it happens again, I'll just do that first. It's nice to have a choice of watching DVD's again. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My brother-in-law has went though two defective 5990s, each with the green or sometimes pink screen using the HDMI connection. They were returned under warranty and replaced. The latest replacement seems to still be functioning. I bought a refurbished model and it still seems to work. But I don't have much faith in their engineering or construction any more.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I am facing the same problem. The video has bluish tint and Cable is YPrPb cable.
    Any idea of solution? Can the problem be related to cable?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by manish View Post
    I am facing the same problem. The video has bluish tint and Cable is YPrPb cable.
    Any idea of solution? Can the problem be related to cable?
    Yes. Reverse the red and blue connectors at both ends. Is the picture still bluish? Then the problem is with one of the devices. Otherwise it's with the cable.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Not to hijack this thread, but it reminds me of something similar I ran into.

I got a second Sony BDP-S360 ($118 bucks on Black Friday) and hooked it up (HDMI) to my Vizio plasma. The other inputs are HD cablebox with component out and HTPC with DVI->HDMI to the HDTV.

Here's the strange thing: Switching from the Blu-ray player to the HTPC resulted in a pink and green color shift on the HDTV, very pronounced. Cycling the HDTV off/on fixed the color, until the next time.

The permanent fix was to change the colorspace conversion in the Blu-Ray player to RGB (0-255).

I also have another BD player, same model, hooked up (HDMI) to the other HDTV, a Philips LCD. No problem with that one, it works fine with the colorspace conversion set to Auto.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    I had done a mistake in connecting DVD to TV. DVD Pr was plugged into TV Pb. DVD Pb was plugged into TV Pr. I fixed it and now video quality is good.
    Thanks a lot for the support. Wish I had verified the connections before posting the problem here.

jagabo: I changed the connection only at one end. What was the reasoning behind swapping the cables at both ends?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I had this problem. Everytrhing was green, but not on my vhs or tv...only on the blue ray. Well, i have an hdmi cable going from the blue ray (sony s360) but i also have the blue ray going to a sony surround sound. So, i have an extra red cable (the left audio not being used). Well, apparantly i had the wrong red one plugged into the pr plug. The pr plug and the audio left plug are both red. The pr plus wire is white with a red stripe. The left audio plug wire is red. I figured the solid red was the pr (like the solid blue or solid green!). No. So, i switched it out, plugged the white wire with red stripe and red plug into the pr and voila! Perfect color.

Hope will help someone...happy new year..
    Quote Quote  
  18. Yes, it was stupid for the industry to use reg, green, and blue for the component connectors. They should have used different colors. Maybe grey, magenta, and cyan.
    Last edited by jagabo; 9th Apr 2012 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    This is happening with my Phillips TV!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then I hoped you read the thread and fixed it!
    Have a good one,

neomaine

Quote Quote  
  21. I had the same orange screen problem with my Philips 3982, but a power cycle (AKA unplugging the power cord and plugging back in) did the trick. I won't complain because I paid $3 for the unit at a garage sale, and love the fact that it will play .avi movie files. Now I can finish Game of Thrones!
    Last edited by Strohbie; 14th Jul 2012 at 15:05. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this seems to be a Philips problem, We have a Phlips MatchLine tv, with matching receiver, surround speakers and a DVD player, that only shows 2 colors. We've tried everything, from cleaning disc to reconnecting all the cables, but nothing seems to work so far. We have a green saturation, when playing DVD's, so one color is obviously not working. Suspecting blue. Any other hints?
    If we play DVD's on the computer (which is connected to the TV also) we don't have any troubles at all, but can't use the surround sound....
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by carkees View Post
    We have a green saturation, when playing DVD's, so one color is obviously not working.
    Video usually isn't transmitted as red, green, and blue. Usually it's Y (greyscale), Cb, and Cr (two color components that don't correspond to simple RGB).

But you can easily diagnose which is the case by making a DVD with a color patch pattern like the Belle Nuit color chart. For RGB transmission you'll see that the red, green, or blue patch turns black if the corresponding signal isn't connecting. For YCbCr you'll have a red/green picture if Cb isn't connecting, a blue/green picture if Cr isn't connecting. If both Cb and Cr aren't connecting you'll get a greyscale picture. If Y isn't connecting you will get no picture at all as the sync signals are carried on Y.

Normal:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	norm.png
Views:	14973
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	27474

Y--Cr:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	nocb.png
Views:	14316
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	27472