VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I am trying to convert a 720p H264 Dolby 5.1 DVD MKV file to a format that I can burn to DVD with Nero Vision. I assume it is a DVD rip since it is 4.5 Gigs. I have searched for a method to do this and I bought Daniusoft Media Converter Ultimate. Their guide is miserable and explains almost none of the file types, settings, etc. Assuming that I just want to view the video in the native resolution and sound as in the MKV file, what format do I convert to, and what are the best settings to use? I have tried MP4 H264 with the default settings and the video has a random pattern of gray and black squares in the darker areas, although the sound appears to be Dolby 5.1. Is this an artifact of the conversion or is it inherent in the MKV file? The only default setting that I have changed is the audio from 2 ch stereo to Dolby 5.1.

The settings in the program for MP4 are Video: Zoom, Resolution, Encoder, Frame Rate, Bit Rate, and Audio: Sample Rate, Encoder, Channel, Bit Rate.

Also the conversion takes 6 or more hours on a 2.4 Ghz Quad core machine with 4 Gigs RAM running Win 7 x64 (true 64 bit mode). Is this normal?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use ConvertXToDVD for converting some of my MKV files to DVD and it works great with no problems. My HD MKVs are originally from a Blu-ray disc and were converted to MKV. I find the video quality fairly good and the conversions take an hour or two most times with my system.

There are probably some freeware programs that do as well, but I haven't tried them all. Other members may have some suggestions.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OreRockOn
    Hello, I am trying to convert a 720p H264 Dolby 5.1 DVD MKV file to a format that I can burn to DVD with Nero Vision. I assume it is a DVD rip since it is 4.5 Gigs. I have searched for a method to do this and I bought Daniusoft Media Converter Ultimate. Their guide is miserable and explains almost none of the file types, settings, etc. Assuming that I just want to view the video in the native resolution and sound as in the MKV file, what format do I convert to, and what are the best settings to use? I have tried MP4 H264 with the default settings and the video has a random pattern of gray and black squares in the darker areas, although the sound appears to be Dolby 5.1. Is this an artifact of the conversion or is it inherent in the MKV file? The only default setting that I have changed is the audio from 2 ch stereo to Dolby 5.1.

The settings in the program for MP4 are Video: Zoom, Resolution, Encoder, Frame Rate, Bit Rate, and Audio: Sample Rate, Encoder, Channel, Bit Rate.

Also the conversion takes 6 or more hours on a 2.4 Ghz Quad core machine with 4 Gigs RAM running Win 7 x64 (true 64 bit mode). Is this normal?
    Where to start ?

Ditch Nero.

Get mediainfo and check the file - my guess is that it is H264 video, DTS or AC3 audio, and probably at a bastardised pseudo-720p resolution. It will have been taken from a Bluray source, not DVD. It will have to be converted to a DVD compliant specification, but you should do this in one conversion, not by converting it to something else, then using Nero.

AVS2DVD is a quality free tool for converting fiels to DVD spec and authoring a finished disc. ConvertXtoDVD is another good tool for this, although it is not free. Either will create the files you need.

Burn to quality blank media with Imgburn.

You don't need Nero for DVD work at all.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It didn't work, the audio encoding crashed (I had to change it from 2 channel to 6 channel, and the mkv file according to mediainfo is dolby 5.1) and have no way to know how to fix it, thanks for trying though!
    Quote Quote