VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a few MKV files which have .sup subtitles embedded, but my Popcorn A100 does not support that format. Apparently it supports .srt, .smi, .ssa and sub/idx.

From what info I can find, subtitles are either in text format or image format, but I can't find which .sup are.

What would be the best supported format to convert them to? And what is the best way to do it? I don't want to be having to edit text, etc, simply because I just want to watch the movies myself once or twice and 1) it's not worth the effort, and 2) sort of spoils the movie knowing what's being said!

Subtitle Creator won't open it, btw. It says 'this sub file is not a valid vobsub .sub file (this may be a a MicroDVD .sub file)' (not sure why it thinks it's a sub when it's a sup file).

Many thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I take it these are the SUP files from Blu-Ray movies? If so, then you want BDSup2Sub to convert them into VobSubs (IDX/SUB format), also image-based.

If they're SUP files from DVDs then SubtitleCreator can convert them to VobSubs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I think at least one is from a bluray rip.

BDSup2sub has read the file and converted to two files, giving me a sub and an idx. How do I embed these back into the MKV for the Popcorn to read them? MKVMerge only likes the idx and won't let me add both, and if I add them as file attachments it doesn't include them in a useable way (Videolan won't even read them).

Just a quick clarification about the two sub/idx files... why are there two files and what is their relationship? Are both needed?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Someone else will have to help. I don't have a Popcorn player and don't mess with MKVs.

However, if MKVMerge takes the IDX I expect it takes the SUB at the same time since they travel together, so-to-speak. Have you tried completing the mux and testing the result?
    Just a quick clarification about the two sub/idx files
    The IDX contains the timestamps and other information about the subs. You can open it using Notepad and check. The SUP contains the actual images. Opening it in Notepad only gives you gibberish.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ah, I understand. I did try it, but now I understand the relationship between the two I don't think I did it correctly. I tried just adding them both as attachments. I've just retried it adding the idx and the sub as an attached file and it plays back ok on Videolan (it didn't when I did it before), so I'm just transferring it over to the PCH again to test. Takes a while over homeplugs....! Fingers crossed!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Damn! That didn't work! The PCH clearly isn't keen on sub/idx, despite it supposedly being supported!

Is there a relatively easy way of converting either sup or sub.idx to another format?
    Quote Quote  
  7. An easy way? Well, you said you didn't want to edit text. The only way, if your player doesn't read VobSubs, is to OCR into a supported text-based format, one such as SRT or SSA. You open the VobSub in SubRip and start typing in the letters. The amount of editing you'll have to do afterwards depends entirely on your typing skills and your stomach for misspelled words.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ah, ok, yes, so that's not an easy way!
    Quote Quote  
  9. DVDSubEdit can do an automatic OCR of DVD SUP files, but it may require some (or a lot) editing afterwards. You convert that IDX/SUB to SUP format using SubtitleCreator and then open the SUP file in DVDSubEdit.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Emanef
    Ah, ok, yes, so that's not an easy way!
    Even easier is convert the idx/sub to sup using SubToSup. All you do is load the .idx file and it saves the .sup file to the same folder as the source. I've had very good luck with that and DVDSubEdit for English subs export to .srt. If there is more than one language in the subtitle set just use the dropdown box to select the desired subtitle track before running the OCR. I haven't had to do any OCR editing so far with this method. (I've seen an occasional typo.. usually on the first letter in the word. Like "go to bell" instead of "go to hell" but I can figure out what's going on in the movie and I'm not distributing the output so who cares?)

I have WD player. I did a firmware update to increase the supported subtitle formats. One video it used the idx/sub pair, one it didn't. Seems the only way to be sure is to use an external .srt file or burn in the subs. The external .srt seems to work with .mkv .mp4 .avi and .divx that I've tried so far. So that's the approach I'm taking. Esp. with DVDSubEdit it only takes a minute to go from idx/sub or sup to srt.
    http://milesaheadsoftware.org/
    Fully enabled freeware for Windows PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I've just tried using SubtoSup. All gave me an srt file, but on playback it just kept saying the title and a .png filename for each sub! The movie is Angels and Demons. I'm wondering if it'll be easier to find a download for subtitle, but I can't remember the program that searches for them!
    Quote Quote  
  12. There's a sticky at the top of the Subtitle Forum that lists some subtitle download places.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Ah, ok, thanks. I hadn't seen that as I was looking at sup files originally. Think I'll try to download some for the titles I need as it's really not worth my time working through whole movies to correct text when it's only for my occasional viewing.

Thanks again for the help guys.
    Quote Quote