VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There used to be what I think they called a video processor that would make a recording more clear...they have taken some very old movies and converted them to high def, I have seen some of the Clint Eastwwod spegitti westerns on hi def and some look very good!!...I have some old recordings on dvd, some I bought and some I recorded from vhs, is there someplace that can take your recordings, clear them up some, re-record them and send you back the original and re-done version?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sure if you have millions of dollars to spend on the project like the studios. otherwise you are going to be disappointed with what is sent back to you.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Would be much cheaper to buy the blu-ray version of the films you want if available.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are old films/specials that are not available at all....Ones I have on vhs and have transfered to dvd so at least the item will be preserved a bit, but poor quality from those days and I knew someone probably 20 years ago that had a device that he hooked in his vhs dubbing line and you could tell a difference, there was less static, don't know if it made the pic any clearer but seemed to clean it up some and I would think there would be much better now available for much less or someone might be offering this service.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes but you don't own the rights to them. no one can work on them for money. if you do it yourself in your own home that's one thing, but i wouldn't accept any work like that no matter how much was offered.

there are plenty of filters you could try with avisynth or almost any video editor has some built in tools.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I don't think there is much hope for your project if you're expecting your VHS tapes to look like BRs. Those old movies that look so good on DVD / Blu-Ray look good because they are converted from the original film negatives and other extremely high quality sources, just the same way they were for the VHS releases. They will likely look even better in the future, as they are captured at much higher resolutions than current consumer HD can display. Add in powerful computers and loads of workers that paint out dust and scratches frame by frame and you can see how it ends up looking so good.

Once your video is on DVD, you are better off leaving it alone. Whatever detail has been lost is gone. You can't recover it. Most of the software techniques that could result in slight improvements in the picture will be counteracted by having to re-encode the video. You're better off doing what you can in the analog domain first before working on it further.

As far as processing your original VHS footage in the best possible quality, depending on the state of it, you need a good VCR, color correction equipment, a fair amount of software, a good capture card / dvd recorder, and lots of experience. There are people that will do this kind of work for you for compensation (some on this board) that really know what they are doing and can make at least some improvements by using good equipment and applied knowledge, though I doubt they would do it on copyrighted stuff. Or you can jump in head first and give it a go, which can be a lot of fun actually if you have the time and patience. There is no magic box that exists though to make everything look great easily, though I do wonder what type of device you are referring to.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cyber-junkie
    ... and I knew someone probably 20 years ago that had a device that he hooked in his vhs dubbing line and you could tell a difference....
    All this did was provide a little amplification, and perhaps clean up the sync pulses. All this would do for you is take your crappy source and make a still crappy recording.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have a high quality (pro) player, good quality tapes, and a good proc-amp/detailer then yes, you can get a recording that is better than the original tape. If, instead of capturing with a DVD recorder you capture uncompressed (or losslessly compressed) to your PC, you will find filters for virtualdub or avisynth that may allow you to wring even greater improvements from the source. You could end up with respectable result - given enough time and money and good quality sources.

However with just a domestic player and domestic DVD recorder and little else, your options are limited. Recording to heavily compressed mpeg-2 (DVD recorder) means that you have already increased the amount of work you have to do in the restoration stage. Much of what is needed to be done has to be done prior to the video actually reaching your PC.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know anything about this...looks kinda like what I think I need...maybe?

http://www.stardevelopment.com/stabilizer.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you feel like wasting time and money....sure.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    If you feel like wasting time and money....sure.
    Why did you say that?...do you have first hand knowledge about it?. It has a built in TBC and a 30 day money back guarantee.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because it is not professional kit. It is one of many low end devices that are designed, ostensibly, to get around copy protection. The 'video enhancement' features are thrown in as an after thought simply to stop companies that sell copy protection from suing them and having them shutdown. The 'enhancement' features are generally of poor quality and little to no value. Often, in fact, they can make the image worse.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote