VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, please excuse any incorect use of terminology.

http://nrkbeta.no/2009/12/18/bergensbanen-eng

I have a 21gb high def file that is in MP4 format see link above), the only players that seem to play it are quicktime (which some minor glitches on tunnel scenes) and vlc which plays it perfect. Even with codec packs and ffdshow etc all sorted it will still not play on media player classic or WMP11, where other MP4s work fine.

Although watching it on vlc is fine, id like to stream in to the xbox 360 so i cant view it on a large tv, i can already stream other MP4s but this file i problematic. When i installed nero recode, windows media player was then able to play the file and so was all the other media players, but this MP4 will still not open on the 360. So it seems there is something inherently wrong with just this file.

Avidemux wont open it, i was hoping to use it do resave the video using direct copy of of the video and audio with no further encoding. I can encode it with nero recode and it looks good, but a 10 frames a second for a 7 hour video it will take ages!!! i just want to resave not encode it again, does anyone know of software that can help?

Many thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try to remux it into a new container with Tsmuxer or Mkvmerge
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, i'll give that a shot now.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just hangs with cpu at 50% ending process i get 'File identification failed'

tsmuxer does nothing for any of the mp4s lol.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    :-O

I saw one of your other post and tried Yamb, it split it! and the bit i split is accepted by mkvmerge, woohoo, i think we have a solution.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok i still had issue, but after ages messing about i found a perfect solution lol, here is how to get this file to be recognised as a proper mp4, including the xbox 360

crop/Split video with software called yamb (editing then split), ie take one second off the start of the video, this enables mkvmerge to see the file.

Open this new file with mkvmerge (gui) this will convert the new MP4 to MKV format.

Open this mkv file in yamb and choose creation and create an MP4 for the mkv file.

You have no idea how long that took me to get it working lol.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I feel your pain. Some files are nightmares. Plus, you had a 22GB file to deal with.

BTW, how interesting is the video? 7 hrs of a train ride?
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote