VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have been reading forums for the last 5 days on how to for BD compression and Burning and I am at my wits end right now. This is a bit more complex than DVD to DVD. I keep reading people who say they have completed the process 50 times or more and how easy it is and I seem to be stuck in the beginning.

I cannot seem to find any posts on how to set all the settings in AviSynth, Haali, and FFDShow. I have all the latest versions of these. There are lot's of posts on what you need to download but none on how to set the settings. I cannot seem to get the rebuild to work so I was hoping someone could lead me to the forum string where this has already been talked about or help me out again.

Win 7 ultimate 64x
    I used anyDVD hd and got my rip
    Master and Commander is the blu ray I am testing
    target size is 25gb

I keep getting a fail to encode video(right in the beginning of phase 2)

I will say I decided to install BD RB in my normal C: which I read is not the best option in Vista b/c of it's virtualization but since I am using 7 I figured I could keep it simple.

Thank You in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by B-ry
    I cannot seem to find any posts on how to set all the settings in AviSynth, Haali, and FFDShow. I have all the latest versions of these. There are lot's of posts on what you need to download but none on how to set the settings. I cannot seem to get the rebuild to work so I was hoping someone could lead me to the forum string where this has already been talked about or help me out again.
    I will say I decided to install BD RB in my normal C: which I read is not the best option in Vista b/c of it's virtualization but since I am using 7 I figured I could keep it simple.

Thank You in advance
    You should leave all settings in avisynth, haali and ffdshow on their default settings. Here are some guides to help you out. I've heard something that if the original blu-ray was in vc1 then you should use windows media player instead of ffdshow, but I've never ran into this problem.

As far as having bdrb on your c drive, that's fine. That is where mine is located too. I use a seperate drive to hold the movies though.

How much free space do you have on your drive? If you don't have at least double the original size of the blu-ray, that can cause problems with the encode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have at least double on the Hard Disk so no issues there. I Seem to be having a lot of issues. After I install BDRB and start it I get an error message telling me it cannot find the path to several codecs including the x264. It claims to configure win 7 to work with FFDshow as well but I don't believe it's doing it.

I am going to read through the guide you provided the links for and then I will probably be back.

I will reinstall everything and get screen shots and the log from BDRB.

Thanks Again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by B-ry
    I keep getting a fail to encode video(right in the beginning of phase 2)
    The only thing bdrb does in phase 2 is rebuild the blu-ray structure. All video has already been encoded in phase 1. The only time that I ran into "failed to encode video in phase 2", is when I didn't have enough space on the drive. You can post your problem on the doom9 site and see if you get a more definitive explanation.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by B-ry
    I will reinstall everything and get screen shots and the log from BDRB.
    Yes, try re-installing all programs. If you are still having problems, posting screen shots could possibly help identify the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I re installed all the necessary programs to run BDRB and I noticed when I opened BDRB it did not give me the error messages I got prior nor did it need to configure win 7 to work with it so I figured that to be a good sign. FINALLY I got a complete rebuild.

I thought it would never happen!

My only concern now is the output folder it generated into is larger than 50 GB and I selected it to compress to 25GB.

Should I only use the folder that has the title of the blu ray I backed up to burn it or does it require the work files too?

The title folder is about 23gb and the WORKINGFILES is about 40gb.

Thank you so much.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Just delete the working files. In setup, you can have BDRB automatically delete working files when the rebuild has completed. The BDMV folder is the one you want. Use ImgBurn and select write files/folders to disc. Drag the BDMV folder to the input window, put a BDR in the burner and burn it. Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great program. For fun you should reduce something down to 7.5Gb DVD+R DL size...you will be shocked at how close to the orginal it will look.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rr6966
    This is a great program. For fun you should reduce something down to 7.5Gb DVD+R DL size...you will be shocked at how close to the orginal it will look.
    I put Gladiator on a DVD5 and I'm still in awe of how well it looked on my 50" Samsung. BDRD with X264 is a amzing piece of code.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Pardon the noobness.....I've never really done anything with Bluray ripping....DVD ripping yes, but this is very different. After a couple days of searching for the right programs....I think I have it working with Any DVD HD, BD Rebuilder, and Img Burn....looking at these comments....it looks like i shouldn't add the Certificate folder when burning the bluray. Can someone confirm this for me? Bout to try burning just the BDMV folder to see what happens.

Also, the first few times I used BD rebuilder.....i would get an error "Wavi.exe has stopped working". Does anyone know what caused this? Possibly I was using the actual disc as the source drive rather than the folder on my computer I backed it up to. When I started using the folder on my computer I stopped getting that error.

Finally, has anyone used DVD Fab to copy Bluray's? I'm guessing DVD Fab doesn't compress the size of the movie and you would probably have to have a DL BD-R for some movies?

Sorry for all the questions, which probably should be in different thread's but I couldn't really find the answers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. 1) You *probably* don't need the CERTIFICATE folder. If you have BDRB set to output "Strict AVCHD" structure, there won't be one. Early BD players (and early firmware) often could play AVCHD but not Blu-Ray structure on DVDR, and vice-versa. You just have to try and see.

2) Most error messages come down to using the wrong versions of AviSynth, Haali, and ffdshow. BDRB is very sensitive to this. Use only the versions tested by the author, available at the first post of the author's site (bug report thread), linked from the BDRB page in Tools. Once the proper versions are installed, run inspect.exe in the BDRB folder, which will tell you if your configuration is okay.

3) DVDFab can re-encode, although the free version cannot. It's okay but IMO, not as good as what BDRB can do.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks fritzi93. If I choose strictly avchd will that still give me all the menus. I'm OCD about having the menus. I did install the latest programs from the author. It didn't happen once I started using the backup on my HDD, rather than the actual disc. Any suggestions for software to play bd's. Power DVD just says it doesn't support this media type.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The setting for strict AVCHD only comes into play for movie-only BD5/9; it doesn't hurt anything to enable it. If you keep the menus, what you get is BD structure. Burn the folders produced by BDRB with ImgBurn only.

In AnyDVDHD and the similar DVDFabPasskey (free while it's beta), there are settings for "PowerDVD workaround". Maybe that will help you. I have PowerDVD but uninstalled it and use the player in TME. The player in TMT is essentially the same. Far better than PowerDVD.

Personally, I despise having to wait through warning screens and jump past forced trailers. So I do movie-only except for episode discs. I might occasionally view extras *once* if the subject looks interesting, same for commentaries. But I'll be damned if I'll waste space on that stuff for a backup. Most of my movies I've never looked at the extras or menus, having immediately made a backup so that I can watch the movie without the annoyances.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oct 4 , 2010 1:15PM EDT----After bd worked for 2weeks--I am now lost:
    Hello, I'm at wits end--for 2 weeks my installed Version of BD Rebuilder (3__74 i THINK) WORKED. then...this pops up:
    "THE SELECTED PATH LENGTH EXCEEDS CURRENT LIMITS"-can not process."
    I've gotten this error 8X trying to process 'BRAVEHEART' & my old copy of TRANSFORMERS--after using AnyDVD to work its majic.. This, believe it or night kept me on my PC from 2am-6:30am-after my wife got up for work. I have wounds & blisters upon my forehead from banging my head against the wall. Now my visiting grandchildren wiull have nothing to watch in 1080P except what i get on the UHF antenna on my roof.
    Your help is appreciated. PS I did DL the NEW v3.11 and still got failures.
    I did a INQUIRE & got this for results--I hope this helps yoor helping me:

- Windows Version: 6.0 [6002]
    - AVISYNTH Version: 2.5.7.0, Ok
    - HAALI Splitter: Isn't recommended version
    - FFDSHOW: 3123, not recommended version
    - FFDSHOW VC-1 set incorrectly: [1]
    - FFDSHOW MPEG2 set to "libmpeg2": Ok
    - FFDSHOW AVC set to "libavcodec": Ok
    - BD Rebuilder v0.34.0.11, Ok
    - X264: Ok
    - AFTEN: Ok
    - FAAC: Ok
    - MP4BOX: Ok
    - WAVI: Ok
    - TSMUXER: Ok

THANK YOU, DON( I have out on rent-- BOLT & Braveheart I can't afford keep them) Thanks to all here & thank God for this forem. I'm beat.
    Thanks for taking YOUR time to help
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PS- I too, had the vicarious THRILL of using an HP DVD+R (Hub-printable) as the destination. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW.
    Then I could NOT duplicate that success.
    ALO, I want to FORCE Image Burn to 2X Burn--it still resorsts to 4X and i DO notice pixelations during playback. Thanks again ahead of time.
    I need a coffee & breakfast (1:17pm I know).
    Thanks for taking YOUR time to help
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    ^Download and install Matroska Splitter from the BD Rebuilder thread at doom9: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716

Recommended for Windows XP only: Download and install WMV11 from Microsoft, and set VC-1 decoding to "disabled" in FFDSHOW (allowing the WMV11 codec to be used). This seems to be the codec with the fewest problem on VC-1. For Vista or Windows 7 -- select "wmv9" That is jdobb's advice for setting up the VC-1 codec in ffdshow. If you are using Win7, you may need to right click the executable for BD Rebuilder and run as administrator to get codecs set properly...but this only needs to be done once.

ImgBurn cannot force the drive to do something it is not capable of doing. Extremely slow speed burns on modern blank media is not recommended anyway, since the firmware of most modern drives is not set up for optimal performance with slow speed burns. If you are using 16x media, I wouldn't burn any slower than 8x. 12x is often a good speed with high quality disks like Taiyo Yuden 16x or Verbatim AZO 16x disks.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Don, your version of ffdshow is incorrect as well, and yeah, read a page or two of the bug report thread and you'll see that it matters which versions of ffdshow, Haali, and Avisynth you use.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but inspect.exe plainly says you're using incorrect versions of ffdshow and Haali.

And Don, although you haven't explicitly stated you're copying rentals, you've come awfully close to it. That's against the rules here.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    And Don, although you haven't explicitly stated you're copying rentals, you've come awfully close to it. That's against the rules here.
    How much more blunt does he have to be??
    Originally Posted by dont811
    I have out on rent-- BOLT & Braveheart I can't afford keep them
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yeah, I read it again, he's trying to "process" Braveheart, one of the rental discs.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  20. So i'm attempting my second bluray rip...everything seems okay...but this time I have a folder titled Working Files, which is the same size as the other folder (22gb)....can i just disregard this and use the normal BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders??
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    ^Yes, you can delete the working files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the responses here. It helped resolve the issues I was having, primarily with the VC-1 issue. I needed to make a couple adjustments in FFDSHOW enabling mpeg-2 and vc-1.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote