VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Im using Handbrake and Ive noticed in a few of the encodes Ive done, I see very feint lines in it once in a while, usually when the animation moves alot at once or very fast. Sometimes they cover the whole image and sometimes their only on what moves. I have an example image or two below to show what Im talking about.

Feint lines that cover only moving parts usually (This happened when trying to make VOB into (x264) MKV with HandBrake)

I went ahead and tried the detelecine feature in the program and it just barely and I do mean barely fixed it some. Its still noticeable but not as much. Then I tried the DeInterlace feature and it just made the quality crap, sure it fixed some of those lines (not all of them) but all the black outlines on the anime characters were blurred and jagged, I even tried the Deinterlace at all 3 offered speeds Fast, Slow, Slower but I got the same result for the most part.

Is this a deinterlacing or detelecine issue? or is it something I dont even know about yet? How can I fix this?

I have another post that shows all of my settings Im using on 4 screenshots and Im asking for help with h.264 settings if that will help any. Then you can see what settings Im using and what Im not using.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic377725.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried with the detelecine option? and if wont work use deinterlace.

And be sure to check the handbrake forum, like http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12101&start=0&hilit=anime
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Have you tried with the detelecine option? and if wont work use deinterlace.
    Well, as I stated under that last image example, Ive tried them both and stated the results I got. Sadly they didnt quite fully fix the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Anime is often a mix of progressive and interlaced material at mixed frame rates so it won't IVTC. Deinterlacing works but will leave artifacts and slightly jerky motions. A good smart bob, like AviSynth's TempGaussMC_beta1(), gives the best results but is very slow. And produces a 60 fps file that some players cannot play smoothly.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's probably an issue specific to your source. If you post a sample, someone might be able to suggest some better options
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray
    It's probably an issue specific to your source. If you post a sample, someone might be able to suggest some better options
    Well when I went frame by frame slowly in powerdvd and in the editor I used I see those lines in the VOB source as well. So apparently the source also does that. I just dont notice in my dvd player, only on my computer. Why is that and how can I fix it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. If you're watching on a progressive HDTV your DVD player or HDTV is deinterlacing. If you have an old CRT TV it is natively interlaced (you see one field at a time).

As mentioned earlier, anime is often a mix of progressive and interlaced sources at mixed frame rates. DVD players and MPEG encoding are designed to handle this. Many other formats are not designed to handle it.

If you encode it interlaced and use a player that deinterlaces on-the-fly you'll be OK. Or you can deinterlace and create a progressive video with 59.94 fps, 29.97 fps, or 23.976 fps progressive frames. 59.94 fps will give the smoothest result, similar to what you see on TV. But it will require more bitrate and some players will not be able to play it properly, or not at all. 29.97 fps will give fairly smooth results for parts of the video that are 29.97 fps interlaced or progressive but 23.976 fps sections will be jerky. 23.976 fps will give smoother results for the 23.976 sections but the 29.97 fps sections will be jerky.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I expect IVTCing it back to 23.976fps is OK, if done right. He didn't say it was playing jerky from being a hybrid, but only that the interlacing remained. I trust Handbrake about as far as I can throw it, and would much rather use an AviSynth IVTC instead of the screwy stuff the Handbrake guy comes up with. After all, a proper IVTC has a postprocessing deinterlacer to pick up any interlacing that slips through the IVTC.

darkdream4, you have to know your source before choosing how it's to be filtered. You can't just blindly choose stuff hoping it'll work. You might run one of the episodes through AutoGK and let it do it and I'll bet the interlacing will be gone. It'll make an AVI for you, but I'm suggesting it just as a test. Then you can read the log and learn about your source and how it was treated for encoding.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    I expect IVTCing it back to 23.976fps is OK, if done right. He didn't say it was playing jerky from being a hybrid, but only that the interlacing remained. I trust Handbrake about as far as I can throw it, and would much rather use an AviSynth IVTC instead of the screwy stuff the Handbrake guy comes up with. After all, a proper IVTC has a postprocessing deinterlacer to pick up any interlacing that slips through the IVTC.

darkdream4, you have to know your source before choosing how it's to be filtered. You can't just blindly choose stuff hoping it'll work. You might run one of the episodes through AutoGK and let it do it and I'll bet the interlacing will be gone. It'll make an AVI for you, but I'm suggesting it just as a test. Then you can read the log and learn about your source and how it was treated for encoding.
    Well I posted a sample of the source I used here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3CDKXGCQ so you can take a look at it if you wish. Should I take a sample of the part of the source that was doing that above? I dont believe I had this issue in the part of the sample I give in that post.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by darkdream4
    Should I take a sample of the part of the source that was doing that above? I dont believe I had this issue in the part of the sample I give in that post.
    If you're having trouble with a section, or if you don't think that place has been handled correctly by the settings you used, it stands to reason that the sample should include the troublesome section.

And have I ever told you how much I hate Megaupload? Not only do you have to type in stuff, but then you have to wait 45 seconds to download the file. Any of the rest are better. Try Sendspace or Mediafire next time.

Anyway, the sample, as poisondeathray said in the other thread, is simple to IVTC without leaving behind blended frames. Since it's almost entirely soft telecine, with a very little bit of hard telecine, I used a slightly different script to check:

TFM(D2V=("E:\Test\test.d2v"),PP=0)
    TDecimate()
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    Originally Posted by darkdream4
    Should I take a sample of the part of the source that was doing that above? I dont believe I had this issue in the part of the sample I give in that post.
    If you're having trouble with a section, or if you don't think that place has been handled correctly by the settings you used, it stands to reason that the sample should include the troublesome section.

And have I ever told you how much I hate Megaupload? Not only do you have to type in stuff, but then you have to wait 45 seconds to download the file. Any of the rest are better. Try Sendspace or Mediafire next time.

Anyway, the sample, as poisondeathray said in the other thread, is simple to IVTC without leaving behind blended frames. Since it's almost entirely soft telecine, with a very little bit of hard telecine, I used a slightly different script to check:

TFM(D2V=("E:\Test\test.d2v"),PP=0)
    TDecimate()
    Hahaha I didnt know megaupload was that much of an annoyance. I just didnt know another way to upload the files. Thanks for the other sites to check out.

Alright, Ill give the script a try after I read up on AVISynth a bit and know how to use it properly.

Thanks!! I guess knowing what the issue with it is like you just mentioned comes with exp. I did alot of reading about telecining on more than one site and still wouldnt have known if it was hard or soft. See ya
    Quote Quote