VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

After a long stugle with my system I decided to uninstall all my codecs and codec components and clean my registry files,
    and at this point I am not able to play any movies on my system...,
    I was wondering if someone could suggest a reliable codec pack for windows 7 x64, I am just getting into video editing and hoping to speed things up using a 64 bit system ..., but I found myslef having all kinds of problems and confusion, things that normally worked in 32 bit os seemed to get all f*** up in the 64 bit os..... I am editing my stuff in sony vegas 64 and trying to take advantage over 64 bit os, and recently I decided that I have to make a choice and choose the right video editing application and stick with it and that's my goal but here i have to spend all this unnecessary time trying to figure out whats and how the damn codecs gonna work on my system...,
    I need xvid to work in vegas and in AE, I got the one working in vegas so far but its not working in AE cs4 ,
    I got a tone of footage in hd that I gotta process and it seems like im stuck trying to match a working codec pack for my system.
    Looking forward to your replies.

thanks.
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of them.

Have you tried the one or two 64-bit versions of Xvid? I'm not sure where to find it (can't even remember where I found it!), but there should be a few links to it elsewhere on this forum. Also, you may want to try the 64-bit version of ffdshow (though you might also need to use the 32-bit version as well...)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, I got the 64 bit xvid installed and working only in Vegas though.
    I am just about to install the newest ffdshow, why would I need to install the 32 bit version though ??? I wanna forget about 32 bit environment,
    I mean why upgrading system and os to 64 bit and then clogg it with 32 bit applications ??
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edit - Already addressed
    "Quality is cool, but don't forget... Content is King!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably about 90 percent of the programs available for Windows are all still 32-bit. Many of the good programs may also never have a 64-bit version. For the most part, though, they all work fine under 64-bit Windows - and in some cases, even work much better than they did on a 32-bit system. That was the case for me; AVIDemux works much better for me on my Vista64 system than it does on my Vista32 tower, for example.

I use a mixture of both x64 and 32-bit video tools and players, for a number of reasons (some of which I mentioned above). There's no harm in using 32-bit programs under 64-bit Windows.

As for installing the 32-bit version of ffdshow, it might be necessary if your editor only recognizes the 32-bit codecs.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by moprh1
    I mean why upgrading system and os to 64 bit and then clogg it with 32 bit applications ??
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    Probably about 90 percent of the programs available for Windows are all still 32-bit.
    And for most applications there's no benefit to 64 bits.
    Quote Quote