VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've captured all my mini DV tapes through Firewire onto my NAS (with the default Windows capture program). Files are around 12Gb/tape (1hr), and reported to be dvsd, DV type 1, 720x576 PAL, 4:3, 25fps. Those files can be perfectly played on my Windows computer, but not on my media streamer in the living. Neither a Zyxel DMA2500 nor TVix6500a will play them (wrong codec, can't handle dvsd). My TV is an old 4:3 CRT set. I live in Europe (PAL).

Formats that are supported by my media streamers are H.264, WMV9, MPEG 1/2/4/SD/HD,VC1, Xvid. I tried Windows Movie Maker, Handbrake and Super with various settings and formats, but every time the end result is a bit disappointing (too flickery, blurry, not vivid). At least I figured out (I think) that I need to deinterlace, otherwise video movements get blurry. Deinterlace or Decomb in Handbrake did that trick (sort of).

Can anyone give me some specifics to check out / experiment with to get a good quality hassle free conversion? I'm a starter. What video format would to recommend out of the above? I also tried TmpgEnc, because I used it earlier to create DVD footage. So I experimented quite a bit, but need some guidance for the next steps.

Any help is much appreciated, Ralph
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deinterlacing will lead to loss of temporal and spacial resolution. Don't deinterlace if you can avoid it.

Try MPEG 2, interlaced, bottom field first, ~9000 kbps, with the same frame size and aspect ratio. Your media players will probably play that correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much jagabo. Converting with TMPGEnc Express, VBR 9200, Leave Interlacing, gives mpg files of around 4Gb which are truly amazing and artifact free. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's probably a little macrobocking in your 9200 kbps MPEG 2 files if you look at enlarged still frames. They won't really be noticeable at normal playback speeds. You can use higher bitrates but you're pretty much at the limit for what's DVD compatible -- if that's a consideration for you.
    Quote Quote