VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks,

I searched and read several threads and did not find my answer ... I have a very Simple question ...

Q1: When unpacking an AVI with "Packed bitstream" is it better to use MPEG4Modifier or AVIDemux?

Q2: Which one of the 2 applications will give me a More Correct AVI Header!?!?

I have used both on the same AVI ... and to my surprise ... AVIDemux ended up making the AVI file in question a tad bit larger (by only few kb's ...) ... whereas MPEG4Modifier always makes the file a tad bit smaller.

I have also played both of the unpacked AVI files on my Philips 5982 and they both played A-OK ... they both indexed fast and no issues ...

I am just curious ... which one is better Application for doing Unpacking ... since I prefer to unpack the Bitstreams for files that have been coded using DivX (vs XviD) and also any files that are larger than 1 GB ... it seems those file tend to play Jerky on my Philips 5982.

Thanks for your Help!

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've always found MPEG4Modifier to be faster, especially if you use the command line version:
    mmcl --unpack "packed input.avi" "unpacked output.avi"

I've not found any difference in the compatibility of the output from the two apps.

What I will say though is that I've found AVIDemux to be incredibly slow when converting VBR audio to CBR and copying the video stream (for better standalone compatibility). I normally use Virtualdub with Lame for this, but occasionally it chokes on the VBR codec used so I need an alternative. FFMpeg does a reasonable job:
    ffmpeg -i input.avi -vcodec copy -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k output.avi

Slainte

midders
    P.S. my command line tool for converting to Xvid avi will convert a packed bitstream and/or VBR audio file to unpacked CBR using the tools mentioned above.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The difference in file sizes is probably just a matter of padding. Different programs use different amounts of padding to align video chunks on 1k, 2k, 4k, etc. boundaries.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Midders & Jagabo ... 1st of all a belated Merry XMAS!

@ Jagabo ... Thanks for the file size differences explanation.

@ Midders ... Thanks for the Excellent & Dummy-Proof explanation. BTW, you must have an ESP ... for including your Commandline Scripts ... since I am a Totally Newbie in this department ... I am more of Click & Go type of Video user ... but plan to make the time (one of these days) and learn AviSynth, Commandline application and so forth ... even learn the Full Power of FFMPEG and so forth ...

BTW, Thanks for Sharing your websites ... I plan to visit it and pick up more Pointers!

Midders ... I am currently saving a document list of different GSpot snaphsots in hopes of getting some idea of What is the Best Way to convert a DVD to AVI (since I would like to convert my Best DVDs to AVI ... and junk the DVDs) ... should I use Regular DVD Folder Style or ISO or what to input into the ultimate Conversion Tool. Is VirtualDub the way to go ... and what flavor of it and which version ... and how do I use XviD with it and so forth.

THANKS again to both of you guys ... and Wish You Both A Healthy, Happy & Prosperous New 2010 Year ...

G!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Best DVD to AVI guide I've ever found is here. Some of the tools are a little outdated (use DVD Fab HD Decrypter instead of DVD Decrypter, and AVISynth instead of VFAPIReader).

My batch xvid tool now supports (decrypted) VOB file(s) as input and processes them according to the settings in the above guide.
    makeavi /input=VTS_01_0.VOB
    will make a batch file that will convert VTS_01_0.VOB... VTS_01_X.VOB to an xvid avi.

Slainte

midders
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi midders,

Thanks and will try the Link and Your Tools!

slainte mhath

G!
    Quote Quote