VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear all,

I am using Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate and I have problem with GREEK SUBTITLES. GREEK SUBS are not readable and look like arabic.....

I usually convert my movies to .AVI Format.

I tried every Greek font, Arial Greek , Hellas Arial, Hellas Times, Georgia Greek, Avant Greek but NOTHING!

The problem happens ONLY with the Greek subs (.srt files, etc....) instead of the english subs which are ok.

Please have a look the sample attached file and help!

Thanks

[/img]

Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Subtitle problems like yours are caused by 2 possible things that I can think of.
    1) The program itself does not understand the character set of the language you want.
    2) The operating system does not understand the character set of the language you want.

I don't use Xilisoft and I don't know why you want to use it, but since the screen capture shows the program running in English, I'd guess that #1 is probably the reason. You can try to go to Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options -> Advanced and where it says "Select a language to match the language version of the non-Unicode programs you want to use"
    you can select Greek. Reboot and if you are lucky, Xilisoft will now work with Greek subtitles. Note that most subtitle programs don't understand Unicode, so Unicode usually will not work as a subtitle choice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks

I believe is the #1! because WinAVI Video Converter WORKS but I do not like this program because the subs are not clear and vivid.

Could you suggest me other programs which understand Unicode?

Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't work with subtitles much and I don't remember which ones understand Unicode. Perhaps someone else can answer that.
    Quote Quote