VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought a British DVD that was recorded in the PAL format. I tried to play it in my Magnavox Blu-Ray player but realized that it wouldn't play after reading the manual. I have an older Bose 3-2-1 system (over 3 years old) that played it perfectly. I looked at the settings in the Bose and saw that it was configured at NTSC when it played the DVD. I changed it to PAL and tried to play the DVD and it looked terrible. Why would it play the DVD in the first place with a NTSC setting?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some DVD players can convert PAL to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a number of DVD players that can decode PAL dvds as long as they are not region encoded, the reverse can be said about playing NTSC dvds in Europe. Region encoding is a seprate issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Bose must have been selling those on world wide cable shopping channels.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The odd thing I found was the Bose played them outright without any configuration changes such as setting it to PAL format. I'm happy it did this just puzzled as how. I suppose it was just automatic.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sandywood
    I looked at the settings in the Bose and saw that it was configured at NTSC when it played the DVD. I changed it to PAL and tried to play the DVD and it looked terrible. Why would it play the DVD in the first place with a NTSC setting?
    This and your follow up post mean that you don't understand what you are describing. The "NTSC" setting means "What video output between NTSC and PAL do you want me to use no matter what the input video format is?" So that's why NTSC worked on a PAL DVD. NTSC means "show all video input as NTSC output and convert if necessary". That's why PAL didn't work. It gave you PAL video output. This setting has nothing to do with the format of the input video and only describes what output you want to see.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, now I see. Thanks for the explanation. Appreciate the patience with my lack of knowledge.
    Quote Quote