VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like many others I followed the "HOW TO MAKE A DVD WITH SELECTABLE SUBTITLES ON MAC OSX WITH FFMPEGX" to convert an AVI to a DVD. The entire process was pretty easy to follow, and the results were spot on, that is, until I got to the part of previewing it with DVD Player. The video starts to play Ok, and the audio is perfect. However, after a very short period of time (maybe 10 seconds) the video gets jumpy for a few seconds then freezes. The audio track continues to play and doesn't seem to be affected by the freeze. And if I fast forward the video, I can see the video fast forwarding (sometimes), but as soon as I play it, it just stays frozen. Once again, the audio continues to play perfectly.

So, I thought maybe my DVD player was having problems playing the files (as opposed to a physical disc), so I went ahead and burned it anyway (using Toast 10 Titanium), but the burned DVD behaves exactly the same. I should have known the results would be the same, but luckily discs are cheap and I don't mind wasting one.

So, any clues what the problem is? I will gladly provide any further details that could help, but I'm new to this program (this is my first conversion with it) and really didn't what to include here.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I tried the burned disc in a standalone DVD player, and I didn't see any freezes. I only watched it for about 2 minutes, though (it's a kids movie and I don't have time to sit and watch the whole thing). I'll post again tomorrow after my kids watch it to let you know if it freezes at all.

But I would still like to know why it would freeze in OS X's DVD player. I've never had a problem before playing DVDs with it. I tried running the AVI through the fix tool, and it's re-encoding the DVD now. I'll let you know if it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm having a similar problem. Video conversion works perfectly. I'm converting a DivX AVI to DVD, Using DVD (mpeg2enc) and all default settings. The only setting I'm changing is the size from DVD to DVD 16:9. The resulting DVD folder plays perfectly in VLC, but hangs OS X DVD Player. Is this normal for encodes from ffmpeg? I'm just curious before I waste a disc to see if it works in a stand alone player.

Is there a setting that I have to choose to make it "OS X DVD Player friendly"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by webman2k View Post
    The resulting DVD folder plays perfectly in VLC, but hangs OS X DVD Player.
    Describe 'hangs'.
    Nothing at all / Partially / Stuttering playback?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Describe 'hangs'.
    Nothing at all / Partially / Stuttering playback?
    Sorry, should have been clearer. In my case, I open DVD Player, select the Video TS folder as a source, and I promptly get the spinning wheel of death. I'm guessing it's trying to start playback as soon as I select it, and locking up on something. I need to force quit DVD Player. As I said, the same Video TS folder opens and plays normally in VLC.
    Last edited by webman2k; 3rd Mar 2010 at 13:17. Reason: clarification
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do not recognize the symptom of the SWoD in combination with ffmpegX output.

VLC playback doesn't proof anything, as it is very forgiving on file errors, and playing many non-standard/faulty/broken files.

Do you get a regular VIDEO_TS folder, i.e. containing files like this?
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    I do not recognize the symptom of the SWoD in combination with ffmpegX output.

VLC playback doesn't proof anything, as it is very forgiving on file errors, and playing many non-standard/faulty/broken files.

Do you get a regular VIDEO_TS folder, i.e. containing files like this?
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    Yep - perfect DVD folder, complete with the AUDIO_TS as well. I've attached a screenshot of the summary window if that helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	924
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	662
    Quote Quote  
  8. Followup - I converted this folder to a dmg (using the convert tool in ffmpegx). This dmg, when mounted, still crashed DVD player, but once burned, worked fine in both of my stand alone players.

So, odd, but no big problem in the long run.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the problem is with DVD Player?
    Do you have any VIDEO_TS folder on your HD that it plays correctly?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    Maybe the problem is with DVD Player?
    Do you have any VIDEO_TS folder on your HD that it plays correctly?
    Yeah - I've downloaded Video TS folders that play correctly. Must be something with how the player responds to the codecs used in ffmpeg. The burned folder plays in every standalone player I've tried, so no problem.
    Quote Quote