VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I was wondering if anybody would know exactly what is the difference in the audio quality for each of the recording modes for this DVD Recorder: XP, SP, LP & EP.
    Some guy said in a review that "it appears that the quality is the same throughout XP -> EP", but I'm looking for a more scientifical evidence of that!

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Audio doesn't take up much space on DVD, so it is possible that the audio quality is exactly the same. The only way to know for sure is to make a recording at each speed and look at the results with something like IFOEdit, Gspot, or some similar tool to see what is used. Most DVD recorders only record 2.0 AC3, probably at 192 Kbps.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the post jman98. Heh, it would be so much easier if Panasonic just put that info on the friggin' manual.

Alright, I'll see what I can do. If anybody already know if there is indeed a difference (or any info regarding the subject), please don't hesitate to tell us!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most recorders do AC3 2/0 at 256k, actually. I've not seen 192k in many, many years now. (Only the earliest, crappiest Panasonics did 192.)

The ES10 does 256k for 2-4 hours, and 384k for XP. At any rate, the ES10 has craptastic encode quality, it's not very good for the video. It's only good as a pass-through machine, to correct tearing.

You can get better DVD recorders: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I would actually be using it just to record material to extract the audio later on. The video is going to be discarded.
    I'm going to remaster it using a good source video, using this audio with a certain language that I'm recording right now.

[subjective] Would you say that there is big audible difference from 256k to 384k? [/subjective]
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you don't care about the video, by far the best quality audio is LPCM.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The ES15 does 384 kbps in 1 and 2 hour mode, 256 kbps in 4 and 6 hour modes, 128 kbps in 8 hour mode. This is from several sample files I just checked.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is that exclusive to the ES15? it'd be very strange for Panasonic to change their kbps standards between models...
    Where did you get your numbers from, lordsmurf?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From my machine.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Most recorders do AC3 2/0 at 256k, actually. I've not seen 192k in many, many years now. (Only the earliest, crappiest Panasonics did 192.)
    The Toshiba RD-XS35 allowed the choice of 192 or 384.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Those Toshiba HDD recorders do stuff nothing else does. They also have PCM. The old Panasonics used to do PCM, I don't know about the newer ones.
    Quote Quote