VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all sorry for asking what I am sure if a fairly stupid question, but just want to make sure I am correct before purchasing some pricey hardware:

I'm I correct in thinking that my Windows Media Centre computer connected to my LG 720p HD TV via a HDMI out graphics card and HDMI cable will play a Divx HD file in its full HD glory, assuming of course the Divx file has been correctly encoded?

Because as far as I can see the source file is HD, the output is HD and the TV is HD so all three should equal proper HD.

Also my current tuner card on the media centre PC is only analog, assuming I upgraded this card to accept a HD input and I got a HD tv service such as Sky HD here in the UK would I be able to record using Windows Media Centre and also output the Sky TV HD signal?

Any confirmation of my theory would be fantastic, and also any words to the wise would be useful.

Many Thanks

Rab
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 37 inch hdtv connected to my pc via hdmi/dvi and all my hd video looks great running from my pc.You can record to hd video as long as you are allowed to capture it and play in hd as well.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by belfastrab
    First of all sorry for asking what I am sure if a fairly stupid question, but just want to make sure I am correct before purchasing some pricey hardware:

I'm I correct in thinking that my Windows Media Centre computer connected to my LG 720p HD TV via a HDMI out graphics card and HDMI cable will play a Divx HD file in its full HD glory, assuming of course the Divx file has been correctly encoded?

Because as far as I can see the source file is HD, the output is HD and the TV is HD so all three should equal proper HD.
    Media Center does not support Divx HD to my knowledge. You would need to output the windows desktop to the HDTV and use a Divx capable player in full screen mode to the HDTV.

Originally Posted by belfastrab
    Also my current tuner card on the media centre PC is only analog, assuming I upgraded this card to accept a HD input and I got a HD tv service such as Sky HD here in the UK would I be able to record using Windows Media Centre and also output the Sky TV HD signal?
    Probably not. Sat services like Sky cannot be tuned from the PC. You need an external tuner. Such tuners are difficult to impossible to capture due to digital signal encryption. Ask Sky if they support MCE tuners. The answer is probably no.

HD tuner cards compatible with MCE are probably limited to over the air free digital TV but I'm not sure of the UK issues.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using Windows 7? The DivX Plus Tech Preview - MKV on Windows 7, enables DivX and MKV playback via Media Foundation in Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player. This means your DivX HD files would in fact be supported in Windows Media Center and decoded by Microsoft's MPEG-4 ASP decoder (not the DivX decoder). You can get it for free here:
    http://www.divx.com/en/windows-7

This tech preview has an extremely small footprint and is not a codec pack; it's mainly the MKV splitter and components that allow Windows 7 to render thumbnails and decode the AAC audio and H.264 video. Also, this is not a hack - it's a legit implementation using Microsoft's SDKs.

Users are also finding it extremely useful in getting their DivX and MKV files to stream through their Xbox 360.

Might as well give it a shot, since it's free
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    His profile says Windows MCE 2005
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote