VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm looking into getting an HD Capture card that has component video inputs and records to my PC. Ultimately I want to experiment with recording my own Blu-Ray discs. I currently do the equivalent for standard def and DVDs using a Canopus ADVC-1394.

The playback devices are a DirecTV HTR-220 DVR and a TiVo Series 3 HD DVR. Component video lines have already been run though the house for my LCD TVs.

A quick look at this forum turned up the Hauppauge HD-PVR and the Black Magic cards as having component inputs. Could I use either of these cards to record HD programs to my PC?

I'm a little hesitant with the Hauppauge because:

1. I'm not sure about H264 compression and whether or not my HD video editing software can actually handle it (Sony Vegas 8 Pro and Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD). They can both do HD these days but I'm not convinced that their capabilities include H264 compression.

2. Bad experiences with the Hauppauge PVR-350 before I got the Canopus.

My platform is at least fast enough to handle Blu-Ray playback via my internal LG drive. Would that also mean that it can handle streaming HD input from one of those capture cards?

Or am I totally off-base with everything?

Thanks to all for your time reading this,
    Big Al Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  2. The Hauppauge HD PVR will capture any component input. But the Blackmagic Intensity Pro will not record component input marked with the CGMS-A do-not-copy flag. The specs in your computer list are sufficient for the HD PVR. You'll need a RAID array to capture uncompressed HD with the Intensity Pro. Capturing with MJPEG compression doesn't require RAID but I think it does require a dual core CPU.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If that CPU is dual core you'll easily be able to capture using a BM Intensity Pro. My 3GHz and 3GB memory on Vista is enough so your PC on XP will breeze through it. Don't be put off by the MJPEG compression either, my captured video from a 360 at 720p looks pretty much exactly the same as what I see on the TV with 1/10 of the file size of uncompressed. Note both the capture cards mentioned are 720p/1080i.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey Bass, can you capture with HuffYUV, Lagarith, or other VFW codecs? With the included capture software? With other capture software? TIA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Over on the doom9 forum there is a thread discussion using an updated huffyuv for HD, I think its for capturing at the higher 1920x1080 resolution..have a look and see if this has applications for your projects.

Huffyuv for the HD Era: An SMP/Multithreaded Port? ( 2 3 4 5 last page )

The last post date is from Jan/2009

Although I have not checked it out myself, on the last page of that link (above) there is a link posted (for a different forum board) suggesting yet another enhanced version for a multithreaded huffy over here:

http://home.h01.itscom.net/para/intro/huffyuv-mt/

-vhelp 5289

:P *~*!*~*!~* HaPpY HoLiDaYs *~*!*~*!~*
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks vhelp but my question was more about whether the Intensity Pro software allows you to capture with VFW encoders. Or if other capture software (that does allow the use of VFW encoders, VirtualDub for example) would work with the card.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Hey Bass, can you capture with HuffYUV, Lagarith, or other VFW codecs? With the included capture software? With other capture software? TIA.
    The Media Express software that comes with it just has Uncompressed YUV and Compressed MJPEG. I haven't tried anything else yet but I'll get VirtualDub sometime today and get back to you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks vhelp but my question was more about whether the Intensity Pro software allows you to capture with VFW encoders.
    I have my own set of *new* troubles elsewheres, but I can't test this to date to be sure, but I'm willing to bet that a vfw software driver should be able to work under BM and allow vfw capture. I'm just too depressed to bother testing for anyone.

I do know that hauppauge has a number of vfw drivers, but if they are not on their website anymore, just google a few times for "vfw" -something and you should be able to find a few dozen hits of these. I prob have tons on my cd's from all my many vfw-day capture cards. Maybe I could dig up my ospray 210 capture card driver cd somewhere..if I dig around. Or else you have to go to one of these non-language sites from google and just snip one of the d/l links to get one. I've done that a few times.

Consider looking around your old hauppauge, ati, or older capture card (2001 era) and see if they will work, the haup/ati one's were fairly generic and may work without incompatability issues. Back in the day, I use to mix and match these to various capture cards when we used to have frame-drop issues, trail-n-error'ing in this way was one of many alternatives back in the day. Other than that, I can't think of any other suggestions at the moment.

-vhelp 5290

:P *~*!*~*!~* HaPpY HoLiDaYs *~*!*~*!~*
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The Hauppauge HD PVR will capture any component input. But the Blackmagic Intensity Pro will not record component input marked with the CGMS-A do-not-copy flag. The specs in your computer list are sufficient for the HD PVR. You'll need a RAID array to capture uncompressed HD with the Intensity Pro. Capturing with MJPEG compression doesn't require RAID but I think it does require a dual core CPU.
    Hi jagabo et al,
    Thanks for all that info! Per what you and The Bass said about Dual Core CPU, I realized I hadn't provided enough info about the CPU in that Dimension 8400. Unfortunately it's a Single-Core Intel Pentium 4 Prescott - not the Dual-Core D or Extreme versions.

I've updated my profile to show this spec under "CPU Speed".

That said, am I out of luck for the time being? Based on what everyone has said about the Hauppauge HD-PVR and Black Magic Intensity Pro, the Hauppauge card is the one that would best meet my needs. I'm not crazy about Hauppauge as I noted in my first post. However the Black Magic is out because of that CGMS copy protection, and possibly the RAID requirement.

For RAID the only thing I have is one of those PCI RAID controller cards that I'm using for the LG Blu-Ray drive. The card's spec is: Intel 82801FB ICH6R - Serial-ATA/150 IDE RAID Controller [B-1].

I'm venturing into unknown territory here... I'm guessing that the usage of this card makes it N/A for capturing with the Black Magic?

But first things first. Can this single-core Intel Pentium4 do the job, or do I have to take a detour and start thinking about dual or quad-core CPUs?

It's already getting complicated. When I revisited the specs for that LG Blu-Ray drive, I found out it was discontinued. It wasn't on the market very long...

Thanks once again to all for the responses. I'm still digesting some of the details.

Have a good one,
    Big Al Mintaka
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by vhelp
    I do know that hauppauge has a number of vfw drivers
    Thanks again vhelp -- but I only wanted to know specifically about the Intensity Pro.
    Quote Quote