VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I bought this Pioneer DV-420V-K player a couple weeks ago and it works fine. My only problem is that it does not display long filenames, including in USB mode. I checked out your post here: https://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/pioneer-dv-420v-k-s/10203 Looks like in the latest firmware version YKB9326C v1.1 it has been fixed. I went ahead and checked my version: it is also YKB9326C, not YKF9326C as suggested in that post. But I decided to go ahead and still try updating it to YKB9326C v1.1. I followed all CD burning instructions, even used two different (Nero and another CD burning software) CDs. When I load my firmware CD in the player, it immediately says: "Cannot read disc". Any suggestions? Again, my only concern is to have long filenames displayed.
    Thank you for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Although I do not have this player and thus have no personal experience, I can tell you that you absolutely must create the right type of disc for this to work. That means ISO 9660 and Joliet and no multisession. You should also be sure to do disc at once and NOT track at once. If you used Nero Express and not Nero Burning ROM, it may not default to the correct options. It is also possible that you did everything correctly but the firmware update only works on players sold outside of North America. We have had reports of this on some models, but I don't remember Pioneer being one of them offhand. I just can't rule it out either.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I burnt two discs with these settings:
    -ISO9660 (no Joliet)
    -Finalize disc
    -ISO Level 1 (8+3)
    -Volum: ISO 9660: PIONEER
    -Speed: 8X and 48X
    Did not work.
    Then I changed to ISO9660/Joliet per your suggestions. Same problem: Cannot read disc.
    Anything else I might try? Like, I can set to ISO9660/UDF/Joliet, or set ISO Level to either Level 2 (31) or to ISO9660:1999 (unrestricted). Or, should I set to Bootable CD, not just ISO?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My bad. I meant "no Joliet". Sorry about that. UDF is definitely not good. Don't do that either. You should not have to set it to bootable CD. Changing the ISO level shouldn't help and may actually make it less likely to work.

Your settings don't convince me that you are doing disc at once. It is really critical that you do that. I think that Nero defaults to track at once, which is bad. And it still can be that the firmware change won't work on US/Canadian players, but be absolutely sure that you are doing disc at once for your best chance of success. I would also suggest burning at a fairly low speed, 16x or less.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    May I direct you to this post detailing burning requirements for the firmware... https://forum.videohelp.com/topic376202-30.html
    I suspect you have a burning problem somewhere in the chain. Type of disc, speed of burn, burner ... something. As you can tell from the post I did not use Nero - worked just fine. Just ensure the settings are as listed in the instructions. Jman has covered most of them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Billmac,
    Thank you for the tip. I went to that post, downloaded ImgBurn and followed the instructions: it worked like a charm! Now I have long filenames displayed; I am not sure what other improvements it got me, but I don't care at this point.
    May I ask another question? Actually, two:
    -any chances of displaying filenames in Russian? Sometimes I watch Russian movies and have to rename them; otherwise the filename is displayed in gibberish;
    -looks like the files order is by "Created date". I'd like to have them alphabetically by "Name". I even tried experimenting and changing the "Created date" in a few files using an attribute changing software. It did change them, but in the USB mode the player still had them in the original order.
    -actually, the third question is very small: in USB mode I have "System Volume" and "Deleted" folders shown. There is an odd file in ""System Volume" and a few other files in "Deleted", looks like the ones I could possibly deleted before. I did not think they would create "Deleted" folder on my external HD. Not a big deal, just a nuisance.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I just bought a 420v-k and wanted to update the firmware with the mod from PioneerFAQ.com Question...I am in the U.S. Which one do I use...CP1251 or 1252? Also, how do I find out what current firmware the device has?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    KeNNethX - you want CP1252 which is the Latin alphabet. CP1251 is Cyrillic.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK...I have made several CD images of the 1252 and cannot get the unit to update. I have used both the Nero instructions from PioneerFaq and the ImgBurn instructions above. when I put the disc in it says loading for several seconds and then it says Can't play disc on the TV and says CD on the display of the 420v-k. This is a brand new unit I bought from Amazon. What is wrong? How can I find out what firmware is currently on the unit?
    Quote Quote  
  10. The thread is at:-

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/313053-Pioneer-420k-DVD-player-for-canadians

it applies to usa models as well I trust.

relevant section is:=i

When you extract the zip files you will get the .bin file and a read me. The read me lists the instructions for burning with nero. I used imageburn. It proved pretty foolproof for me although I second guessed myself the whole time.

In imgburn select "write image file to disc" but under mode tab leave in "Build" mode.
    Under device tab on right I set burning to 4x. Under the options tab the file system dropdown selection was ISO9660 + UDF; UDF Revision dropdown was 1.02; I left recursive subdirectories checked but nothing else in the device tab. Under the labels tab I set the Volume Label at the ISO9660 box to PIONEER
    The Advanced tab opens tabs for Dates - I set button to Use File Date & Time
    Restrictions tab - the ISO9660 tab the Folder/File Name Length set to Level 1 - 11 Characters, 8.3 Format
    Character Set button to Standard
    Left the Allow More than 8 directories and Allow more tha 255 characters in path both checked
    the Joliet tab under Folder/file name length I left the Level 1 - 64 Characters button on
    the UDF tab I had nothing checked
    Select .bin file to burn
    A dialogue box will open when you attempt to burn saying you are trying to build and would you like to save image
    click YES (Billmac said no)
    BILLMAC said change mode to write ,, this is unnecessary, leave on build and it then says do you want to back up, say yes and label it , it then burns fine.

You should now be able to click the button at bottom left that you would normally press to write.

Take the disc to the 420 and its asks if you want to upgrade, press enter, it then freezes for a while but come back alive with the tray ejected, press and hold enter it turns off and is then region free,

Multiregional when Enter is pushed until the player turns off"
    If the upgrade is finished the unit is not made multi region until you press enter to turn off the machine.
    You turn back on and its multiregion!

even though the firmware says region one, which you find by going into home menu and initial settings, then options and press display on the remote, it still says region 1 but I have used a definite PAL region 2 disc and it worked.

current firmware can be shown by:-

pressing these in order

home menu
    initial settings
    options
    display

I have not tried the feb 2010 v2 of cp1252 and hope it fixes the minor irritants of v1.1

If your firmware upgrade is not working it may only be because of the incorrect burning or using memorex discs, as thats is what I found before finding success.

UPGRADING:
    1. Turn on the player, and open the disc tray.
    2. Put the Firmware Update Disc on the tray, and close the tray.
    3. A screen will be displayed inviting you to push the "play" button to start the update.
    4. The player will load the data, and the tray will open again. Remove the Firmware Update Disc from the tray now. Leave the tray open. The update process will complete in few minutes.
    5. Wait until the update process finishes and the DVD logo is shown on the screen.or wait 5 minutes
    Press and hold the enter until the machine turns off, turn it back on and the menu for files should be wider and its region free.

Attention: DO NOT unplug the power cable or turn off the player during the update process.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    The thread is at:

If your firmware upgrade is not working it may only be because of the incorrect burning or using memorex discs, as thats is what I found before finding success.

UPGRADING:
    1. Turn on the player, and open the disc tray.
    2. Put the Firmware Update Disc on the tray, and close the tray.
    3. A screen will be displayed inviting you to push the "play" button to start the update.
    4. The player will load the data, and the tray will open again. Remove the Firmware Update Disc from the tray now. Leave the tray open. The update process will complete in few minutes.
    5. Wait until the update process finishes and the DVD logo is shown on the screen.or wait 5 minutes
    Press and hold the enter until the machine turns off, turn it back on and the menu for files should be wider and its region free.

Attention: DO NOT unplug the power cable or turn off the player during the update process.
    Victoriabear. Yes I have burned several discs (Office Depot that the player has not problem reading DivX or Mp3s off of) using the the instructions in that thread. I used both Nero and ImgBurn per the intstructions jn the thread. I have made at least 6 discs. I put the disc in but do not get the screen intiving me to push play...I get 'loading' followed by 'Can't play this disc'. It sees the disc but doesn't recognize it as an firmware update. How can I find out what firmware is already on my player?
    Quote Quote  
  12. the instructions were included in my previous message, like many of us it may be you are not following the firmware burning instructions exactly, i'll see if I can email an image, later.

i quote:-

pressing these in order

home menu
    initial settings
    options
    display
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    the instructions were included in my previous message, like many of us it may be you are not following the firmware burning instructions exactly, i'll see if I can email an image, later.

pressing these in order

home menu
    initial settings
    options
    display

Thanks...sorry. That part I missed. Well I got it to work. I found on another forum where they talked about changing YKF9930A.BIN to YKB9930A.BIN (literally changing the file name before burning). That did it for me. I am now using StM 2.0. I used Nero and the burning instructions from PioneerFAQ. The only odd thing is...I thought it would allow long file names via the USB stick...but it appears that it does not. On files that are on a disc it seems to be fine. Any thoughts on this? The files on USB are DivX.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Well...another bump in the road. The player worked ok for a day and then the display started hoping all over the place? Bad in the first place of the upgrade? I send back to Amazon as defective...and I won't be updating the firmware again, anytime soon.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    the instructions were included in my previous message, like many of us it may be you are not following the firmware burning instructions exactly, i'll see if I can email an image, later.

pressing these in order

home menu
    initial settings
    options
    display
    Victoriabears:

OK...I have my replacement 420v-k and I go through all these menu settings and firmware version is not listed under display.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think it only does that following the upgrade, do remember that Pioneer may have changed the firmware to stop us making the changes, also that if you make a backup of a other region dvd it will play as the backup will be region free.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    I think it only does that following the upgrade, do remember that Pioneer may have changed the firmware to stop us making the changes, also that if you make a backup of a other region dvd it will play as the backup will be region free.
    My main reason for wanting to change it was to enable long file names. When I did get it to work it only seemed to work for files on disc and not files on USB...although the notes fot StM 2.0 said it would enable them for USB :
    Quote Quote  
  18. I will look at my unmodified player and see what this is all about over the next week or so.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just gonna cut to the chase and be blunt. It's not my intention to insult you KeNNethX, but I'm also not going to candy coat what I am about to say either.

There are no guarantees when you used hacked firmware. Usually it works, but it may not always. You install it, you take your chances. Sorry it didn't give you long file names for USB, but, well, that's too bad. And as victoriabears said, Pioneer could have made changes (either deliberately or not) that break this hack. That happens all the time.

Honestly, people need to stop expecting their DVD players to be "do everything I want" machines. You want long file names? Buy a media player like a Western Digital HD TV Live or something similar. If you keep expecting DVD/BluRay players to live up to your whims, and long file names is not a show stopper no matter what you think, you are going to be disappointed every time.
    Quote Quote  
  20. okay,,just unpacked another 420-k that I bought 2-3 months ago, the order of trying to display the firmware version is:-

home menu button on the remote-press it
    initial settings on the screen is next display, press enter on the remote.
    slide down to the options tab on the screen
    press display on the remote
    I get ykb9326c

I will now try to upgrade the firmware with the latest from pioneer faq
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  21. @jman98...I'm not insulted. The first player was bad. The 2nd one updated right away. That said...I realized what made the first player's display freak-out. It happened again with the 2nd player. I had changed the setting BNR on. I did a factory reset and all is ok. That all said...long filename doesn't work for USB but I can live with it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Just found found out PioneerFAQ just updated the firmware to 2.1...it now includes long file-names for USB...that's what I'm talking about!
    Quote Quote