VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi EveryOne!

Usually I use TMPGEnc Xpress to convert AVI video I made with my camera ( Canon Powershot A720 IS ) to DivX AVI file in order to having desktop player compatible format.

I recognized that sometimes these converted files have weak quality. Typically I use 3000 kbit/s bitrate with 30fps and 640x480 size.

In many cases, these converted DivX AVI files are "blocked-like" ( the video has many small block region, which yields pure quality ).
    I cannot create DivX AVI without having block regions. In the past I had not this problem.

If I use 1000 kbit/s bitrate then I have better quality if I use 3000 kbit/s bitrate.

I uploaded the original AVI file, and two converted DivX avi files ( 1000 and 3000 kbit/s respectively ) to here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/326150124/divxvideos.rar

This RAR file also contains the setting screenshots.
    I would say that in the RAR "divx3000.divx" has weaker quality than "divx1000.divx".

I wuld like to have converted DivX avi file without "blocks".

I hope someone of you can help me clarifying me problems.

I appreciate your help!

Kind Regards,

Attila
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can't you adjust any quality settings in tmpgenc xpress? And if possible try use constant quality encoding mode.

And in the past did you also use tmpgenc xpress? same version?

Or just try another free simple converter like dr.divx, any video converter, format factory, xvid4psp, autogk and convert to avi xvid or divx. Try use constant quality encoding mode if you don't need a specific file size.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear Baldrick!

Thank You for your very quick reply.

I used TMPGEnc in the past.

I have just tried to convert with constant bitrate. And the result is fine! Amazing.
    If I changed to multipass converting then the result is blocked-like! I dont know why ...

I am using multipass encoding, because according to my knowledge it rendres better image quality, besides having option to have a specific file size.

Overall, we can say that multipass DivX encoding can results blocked-like quality?
    Or it depends on the codec and settings. I tried every setting I can do in TMPEnc but I always have blocked-like quality in multipass encoding.

Can I use multipass encoding without having blocked-like quality?

Many thanks again!

A
    Quote Quote