VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm sick of new protections. I don't want to pay to upgrade my ripping software. I just want to backup DVDs that I bought. Since the DVD players can play the disks, why doesn't someone just write software that acts like a stand alone DVDplayer and record the movie. If it takes two hours thats OK as long as the quality is the same. Is there already ripping software like that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Screen cap software will do this. Or you could get a device that strips macrovision and just dub from a player to a recorder.

However the results will not be as good.

If it was really that simple, don't you think someone would have done it by now.

Of course, if you use DVDFab HD Decrypter, you don't have to pay for upgrades - the ripping component is free.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    chiuchimu, you are new to the forums and welcome, but unfortunately your post falls under the heading of "I am the only person in the world who wants software that does X, so why doesn't it exist?" We get those kind of posts from time to time.

I've never heard of anyone who actually wants a real time recorder. As far as I know it's certainly possible to do this but there's no advantage to it. Ripping is significantly quicker. DVDFab HD Decrypter has a free version that trails the commercial one by 6 months in terms of updates. If you wait, eventually it will be updated. It's impossible for me to say whether or not you really need constantly updated ripping software. Some studios are worse about this than others. Sony and Disney are the worst that come to mind offhand. Some studios don't use anything but the same old methods that have always been around for disc protection.

Hollywood's legal arm has stopped all of the free rippers in the past and the only ones that still get updates are ones that are based in small countries beyond the reach of Hollywood and their lawyers. Plus, schemes like ARCCOS keep changing and it eventually reached the point where it was so much work to keep up with the new protection methods that you had to pay someone to do it. There was an attempt to make a freely available, constantly updated DVD decrypter program a few years ago, but the programmers behind it gave up and abandoned it because it took too much work to constantly update it. AnyDVD and DVDFab basically have to pay people to keep up with the changes, so I do sympathize with you, but the reality is that your goal is not realistic.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your aim is for realtime captures you can do dubbing. Many but not all capture devices don't recognize macrovision that is intended to defeat copying.

You can dub with the hauppauge hd pvr and get 5.1 audio with fiber optic if you want. That will be realtime capturing and no menus. You will get either a m2ts, or mp4. Than you can author a avchd disc or the software can convert to dvd for you.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by chiuchimu
    I'm sick of new protections. I don't want to pay to upgrade my ripping software. I just want to backup DVDs that I bought. Since the DVD players can play the disks, why doesn't someone just write software that acts like a stand alone DVDplayer and record the movie. If it takes two hours thats OK as long as the quality is the same. Is there already ripping software like that?
    I'm sorry but.....that is the stupidest thing I've heard all day....and I talked to my mother-in-law today.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, some of the folks around here are a bit less than polite. Is there something in particular that you are trying to rip and haven't been able to? Which ripping program have you been using? Perhaps we can help you find another way of ripping that would be faster than real time and free, a double bonus
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If something like that did exist, it would be useful as a way to capture streaming Hulu TV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    DVDFab HD Decrypter has a free version that trails the commercial one by 6 months in terms of updates. If you wait, eventually it will be updated.
    Is this a relatively recent change? I had always heard that the free version got the same anti-DRM updates at the same time as the the paid version, with the benefits of the paid version being the other features (Splitting, shrinking, re-encoding for portable devices, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bix
    Originally Posted by jman98
    DVDFab HD Decrypter has a free version that trails the commercial one by 6 months in terms of updates. If you wait, eventually it will be updated.
    Is this a relatively recent change? I had always heard that the free version got the same anti-DRM updates at the same time as the the paid version, with the benefits of the paid version being the other features (Splitting, shrinking, re-encoding for portable devices, etc).
    The change in policy suddenly materialized with the release of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen on SD DVD. The author likely grew tired of letting people make backups using DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVD Shrink at no cost and hoped that by further crippling the free version people would buy licenses.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think that was a brilliant move by the author. People still get free rips, they just have to wait. And they can't get movies out of Redbox for $1 and rip them... which sort of protects the copyright holders.

Still... didn't DVD HD Decrypter include a "PathPlayer" option which behaves in such a way, only faster? Or did I misunderstand that feature?

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    I think that was a brilliant move by the author. People still get free rips, they just have to wait. And they can't get movies out of Redbox for $1 and rip them... which sort of protects the copyright holders.
    As mentioned in another thread, it's actually 30-60 days which is pretty reasonable. At any rate, this leaves

Still... didn't DVD HD Decrypter include a "PathPlayer" option which behaves in such a way, only faster? Or did I misunderstand that feature?
    Yeah, that's what this feature in DVD Fab HD Decrypter/DVD Fab free is supposed to do according to their website: http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/SettingsPathPlayer
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by chiuchimu
    I'm sorry but.....that is the stupidest thing I've heard all day....and I talked to my mother-in-law today.
    Idiots that can't read English should stay out of forums let alone call other stupid.

I'll make my question clear. Every few releases, DVD protection goes up a notch and software companies that sell decrypting software have to update their programs. Yet, every DVD, no matter how complex the protection, can be played in even the oldest DVD players. So, theoretically, if someone wrote software that processes a DVD step by step exactly like a DVD player does, then updates would not be needed. Any DVD that could not be ripped by such software would not play in a DVD player either.

Here is what a guy that worked for Maxtor told me( maxtor got bought out). The reason why there is no software that acts step by step like a DVD player is because most of the world has no clue how DVD players actually work. Basically, the info about DVD is given out as SDK packs and software developers work off of them. There is only enough info to get a working software going but not indepth info on how everything works. So the people at Sony are continuously working on ways to trip the software without tripping the DVD players.

I bought IdealDVD, its currently $29.99 with life long free upgrades, Neither DVDFAB nor AnyDVD are free upgrade for life.( only a year). But I still would rather have software that doesn't need upgrades to rip a DVD. free upgrades for life seems great , unless the company goes under.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suspect your guy at Maxtor doesn't really know as much as you think he does. DVD playback is pretty well understood.

You still do not get the same quality from a real-time cam type capture tool as you do from a proper rip. You are, in effect, losing a generation through this process. I cannot see any legal need that requires the ability to rip a disc on it's day of release.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just have the tiniest bit of patience. Are you really (buying and) watching the latest releases that much that you need backups immediately? I'm sure that you are single-handedly keeping the dvd industry going with your purchases, but that does not mean that you are owed this type of software immediately. The fact is that these programs break copyright protection and are mostly beneficial to pirates rather than to the average user.

The type of process that you suggest, processing the disc as it plays, show that you have no knowledge of how encryption works nor have you researched it at all.
    Quote Quote