VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone else excited about Google's upcoming Linux OS?

Ever since I switched to a netbook computer, I've tried to find things that are as streamline as possible and I think their browser OS idea is perfect in that capacity.

What do y'all think about it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not really.

What I am excited about is that Google is pushing to use the Nvidia Tegra ARM based platform instead of Intel's battery draining Atom. The ARM CPU may not be as powerful as the Atom, but at least you can get 7-12hours out of the battery with the ARM CPU. Much better than the 7 hour best case scenario that Netbooks currently have. The biggest compliant I have against current Netbook's is that they are grossly over priced. These are - in all honesty $200-$250 machines MAX. Just can't see paying $300 for something half as functional, half the size, half the capabilities, and half the power of the cheapest $350-$379 Notebooks.

The ARM CPU is not that much slower than the Atom in computational tasks. Plus we'll get 2-4x the battery life, and Nvidia graphics to boot - for less money. That sounds like a win to me
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    google as an os.... hmmmm how much info is going to get back to google about what you do with your netbook as a price to use it? *ALL* your data will be stored online at google. i don't know, it doesn't sound like a good trade to me, completely flushing privacy down the drain.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    No thanks, I prefer an OS which "resides" on my computer,
    not on "some cloud above the Internet". I'm quite "old-fashioned", you see.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo View Post
    Anyone else excited about Google's upcoming Linux OS?

Ever since I switched to a netbook computer, I've tried to find things that are as streamline as possible and I think their browser OS idea is perfect in that capacity.

What do y'all think about it?
    i am, i'm using their browser and love it, i always thought that a big company could build a linux distro for the masses, it'll be interesting what their take on linux is.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    No thanks, I prefer an OS which "resides" on my computer,
    not on "some cloud above the Internet". I'm quite "old-fashioned", you see.
    uh!!! Google OS is a "cloud OS"? in that case, no thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's my understanding that the Google OS is simply a Linux variant. I don't know where all the tin foil hat concerns by aedipuss, El Heggunte and deadrats are coming from.

And by the way aedipuss, according to the Linux license, you HAVE to be able to get a copy of the source code of the distribution. Microsoft doesn't do that. Think about that one if you want to be paranoid. You have no idea at all and no way to find out what Windows does or does not do with your privacy. You could in theory, assuming you understand the programming language, at least figure out what's going on in Linux. But if you're that paranoid, don't use it. No big deal.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    It's my understanding that the Google OS is simply a Linux variant. I don't know where all the tin foil hat concerns by aedipuss, El Heggunte and deadrats are coming from.

And by the way aedipuss, according to the Linux license, you HAVE to be able to get a copy of the source code of the distribution. Microsoft doesn't do that. Think about that one if you want to be paranoid. You have no idea at all and no way to find out what Windows does or does not do with your privacy. You could in theory, assuming you understand the programming language, at least figure out what's going on in Linux. But if you're that paranoid, don't use it. No big deal.
    here we go with the tin foil hat accusations again. it's not "paranoia", it's an opposition to the notion of a "cloud" OS, which i will explain to you what it is and how microsoft comes into the picture:

a while ago, a microsoft big wig, i believe it was balmer, during a speech, expressed the idea that microsoft viewed the future of computing as "the internet is the computer", basically what was described was that no apps would run locally on an end user's pc, the end user would just run a simplified bare bones OS that would connect to remote servers and all apps would run on microsoft's servers.

cloud OS is a generic term that describes a web browser that runs on an end users computer locally that connects to remote servers where all the apps reside and run.

basically it reduces your pc to a dumb terminal, much like business used 20+ years ago, where the end user would telnet to the server and do all his work on the server.

a cloud OS would effectively eliminate the need to ever upgrade your home pc, as it wouldn't be running anything other than a browser, you couldn't get faster performance by installing a faster cpu, since nothing runs locally, you would be at the mercy of who ever is running the cloud to upgrade their hardware. furthermore, the data, your data, doesn't reside on your computer, it resides "in the cloud".

googling "Google OS" returns this:

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2009/07/google-chrome-operating-system.html

As people use more and more web applications, the operating system becomes less important and it makes no sense to pay for it. The desktop mail client could be replaced by Gmail, the calendaring application could be replaced by Google Calendar, the office suite has lightweight alternatives: Google Docs and Zoho, it makes more sense to use an online feed reader like Google Reader, your scientific calculator is less powerful than Wolfram Alpha and you'll rarely need a video player when you have YouTube, Hulu and other video sites.
    do you understand, it's about freedom, liberty and everything that those guys in the powdery wigs 200+ years ago fought and died for.

i don't believe in letting any entity enslave me and tell me what i do and do not need, not a government, not a corporation, i am a grown man and can make up my own mind and i would never use any product that attempted to decide for me what i need.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

from wired.com
    Chrome OS netbooks will not have traditional hard disk drives -- they will rely on non-volatile flash memory and Internet-based storage for saving all of your data.
    All the applications will be web-based, meaning users won't have to install apps, manage updates or even backup their data. All data will be stored in the cloud, and users won't even have to bother with anti-virus software: Google claims it will monitor code to prevent malicious activity in Chrome OS web apps.
    no. repeat no local storage of any data. all your data will belong to google online. all your documents, email, contact lists, pictures, videos, everything. can't wait for the user's reactions the first time all that is hacked, published or unavailable for a week. count on the desktop version to "back-up" all hard drive data online also.

and even if it is open source, the kernal isn't changeable like a normal linux, you can't install other packages or delete anything from the kernal.

not only that, but every click of your mouse will be cc:'d to google as part of the price for a "free" o.s. - everything.

no tin foil hat needed, just count me out.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Beyond all that, I see two major showstoppers.....

First, the Google OS won't do much unless you have internet access.

Second, I assume you will have to re-buy any applications you already own. Or, perhaps more esoteric applications simply won't be available. For example, things like video editors.

Paul
    Quote Quote