VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm posting the following for the second time:

I'm having difficulties with the Orbit Downloader. Most of the rapidshare URLs that I try to download from give me corrupt files, with a volume of roughly 30KB. These URLs work when I download them using the browser. Has anybody else encountered such difficulties? What can be done?

I have a premium account and it's logged in. I won't give an example of a URL which I can't download in respect to the forum rules, but it applies to 99% of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't use orbit.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to rapidshare premium zone then under settings make sure you this one checked

Direct downloads, requested files are saved without redirection via RapidShare
    Quote Quote  
  4. It was already checked. Why not use Orbit? It used to be fine, enabling me to download in top speed and with minimal fuss.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    orbit was ok until one of their updates 3-4 months ago. it got more intrusive and less helpful.

just click on the download link and save the file without it. orbit doesn't improve download speed at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. Orbit, and programs like it, can increase your download speed by opening multiple connections and downloading different parts of the file via each connection.

For example, say a server has 100 Mb/s upload bandwidth. There are 100 users downloading files, one connection each. So each is getting 1 Mb/s. You come along and open four connections. Now there are 104 connections so each connection is getting about 0.96 Mb/s each. Four of those are yours so you're getting about 3.86 Mb/s while everyone else is getting only 0.96.

But many servers will limit you to a single connection so you'll get no improvement in download speed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The problem is more general- every download manager I downloaded had the same problem. When I download it regularly, I download the real file but get very poor speed- about 70KB/s compared to the usual 900KB/s. It's now clear this problem is not exclusive to Orbit. Seems like something is wrong with the settings, but I have no idea what.
    Quote Quote