VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to play 720p/1080p mkv files on my laptop and always get stuttering. Every time I start a file it plays smoothly for about minute or so and then begins to stutter or glitch consistently every 20 seconds.

So far I've been using MPC (latest version) + fddshow tryout + CoreAVC. My laptop specs are as follows:

Windows 7 32-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 (1.83Ghz)
    3 GB memory
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 (up to 358 MB memory)
    250 GB hard drive (5200 rpm)

Is my laptop simply not capable of playing the files or am I doing something wrong?! Please help!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Playing from the HDD or an optical drive ?

Running on battery power or mains ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    playing from hdd using power supply (not on battery)
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPCHC: View -> Options -> Internal Filters -> Transform Filters -> enable H264/AVC (DXVA) or H264/AVC (ffmpeg). Double click on H264/AVC (ffmpeg) and set Decoding Thread Number to 2.

To use ffdshow you will need a multithreaded build: ffdshow-mt. Same with CoreAVC, you need CoreAVC Pro, not the standard version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried the DivX Plus Tech Preview - MKV on Windows 7:
    http://www.divx.com/en/windows-7

It has DXVA support, so you can offload H.264 decoding to a supported graphics card. We ran it on an Acer AspireOne netbook this last IFA and it was decoding 1080p DivX Plus video (MKV/H.264/AAC) just fine. This netbook has an Intel GMA500.

Anyway, this DivX Plus Tech Preview is free and part of the DivX 7 bundle, and you can get tips and post feedback in the DivX Labs forums, which will improve it for the final release.
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem. Doesn't matter whether I use this .mkv file or another one, same problem. I tried converting to .ts and it helped marginally, but it's still unwatchable.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, I found a solution! Just try using Media Player Classic Home Cinema- I tried it so I could try Jagabo's instructions and it suddenly works! See if that helps. (I didn't use his instructions in the end- it worked fine on the first try.) Hope it works!
    Quote Quote