VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Whenever I start my windows xp computer, it tries to load some weird file. Below is the error message.

Error loading C:\DOCU~1\ntload.dll
    The specified module could not be found.

I cannot figure out where this is coming from or how to disable it from trying to load everytime I start my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doesn't anyone Google anything anymore? Holy crap man.
    http://www.threatexpert.com/files/ntload.dll.html
    Quote Quote  
  3. hech54, thanks but I wasnt sure if that is a free tool?

I scanned with Malewarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAnitspyware and couldnt remove this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you look in msconfig/startup?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. I wasnt sure how to navigate msconfig/startup exactly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    click start/run type in msconfig. click ok. click on the startup tab when the program pops up. scroll down the list and uncheck anything that tries to load that file.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. it is not a program that pops up, just a error message with a red X (with message above)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jyeh74
    I scanned with Malewarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAnitspyware and couldnt remove this.
    Since you have SuperAntiSpyware....go to that program folder and open BootSafe.
    Choose: Safe Mode - Minimal and allow the program to restart the computer.
    THEN scan your computer with SuperAntiSpyware(and and other programs you may have).
    **Don't forget to update all of the anti spyware software first**
    Quote Quote  
  9. SuperAntiSpyware has all updates, let me rescan in Safe Mode and I will let you know what happens. I dont know what BootSafe is, but I'm assuming it scans in safe mode or something.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I will warn you that once a friend gave me a laptop and it had a dll on it that we could not remove, not even in safe mode. I don't remember the name of that dll file though. I tried everything to remove it, even booting Linux and using Linux tools to mount the disk drive and I still couldn't remove it.
    Quote Quote  
  11. are these dll files are different spyware/malware files?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are these dll files are different spyware/malware files?
    Only the bad ones.

DLL's are Dynamic Link Libraries, part of many Windows programs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic-link_library
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by hech54
    I think this Threat Analyser only scans certain documents/files. I cant scan my whole computer.

I basically turned it off using the msconfig, but not sure if that damages the computer. Would ideally like to remove it, but not sure what type of spyware/malware program to kill it with. Using Malwarebyets anti-malware, SUPERantispyware and Adaware which hasnt found anything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    I think this Threat Analyser only scans certain documents/files. I cant scan my whole computer.

That is NOT what I recommended to do.
    Since you have SuperAntiSpyware....go to that program folder and open BootSafe.
    Choose: Safe Mode - Minimal and allow the program to restart the computer.
    THEN scan your computer with SuperAntiSpyware(and and other programs you may have).
    Bootsafe gets you to SAFE MODE.
    You will now scan your computer WITH SUPERANTISPYWARE in SAFE MODE.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is safe mode?

Safe Mode has been a component of the Windows operating system since the days of Windows 95. The basic idea is to allow the user (or technical support worker) access to the windows interface without loading any unnecessary drivers or software. The thinking is that if device drivers or auto loading software (broswer hijackers for example) are causing problems with your Windows installation, the easiest way to fix things is to load a version of Windows that bypasses all but the most basic drivers and will not run any additional software. Windows XP safe mode provides you with a basic graphics driver (enough to display the user interface), access to your drives and windows configuration, and very little else.
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1643
    Quote Quote  
  16. thanks, let me try that. Is Bootsafe suppose to uncover spyware that normal mode may not reveal?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks, let me try that. Is Bootsafe suppose to uncover spyware that normal mode may not reveal?
    In a nutshell....yes. Spyware, trojans, etc etc etc are designed to hide....but they can only hide when they are running(in Windows). In Safe Mode....they are not allowed to run so antispyware stuff can catch them. You can get to Safe Mode without the program called BootSafe....but for a newbie or "rookie" to this sort of stuff...BootSafe is the best way to activate Windows' Safe Mode.
    I always use BootSafe when I need to get to Safe Mode.
    Quote Quote  
  18. There is a problem though. My computer does not restart. I do not know why as it has been a problem for quite some time now. When I try to restart, it will get hosed up and display a black screen, as if it cannot reboot. I typically just shut down, then turn back on, but this method (my only way) does not allow it to go into safe mode in BootSafe.

You think something is up with my hardware configuration?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There is a problem though. My computer does not restart. I do not know why as it has been a problem for quite some time now. When I try to restart, it will get hosed up and display a black screen, as if it cannot reboot. I typically just shut down, then turn back on, but this method (my only way) does not allow it to go into safe mode in BootSafe.

You think something is up with my hardware configuration?
    BootSafe did not restart for you?
    Quote Quote  
  20. no
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Time to go in the old fashioned way then:
    To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you download and burn to disc the dr web live cd, you can boot it and use the linux based a/v to scan your computer.

http://www.msk3.drweb.com/pub/drweb/livecd/
    --
    Quote Quote  
  23. looks like this virus, doesnt even allow me to get to links. i.e. if I google something, and try to lick on the links it returns, it RE-links me to weird pages.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by hech54
    To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.
    hech54, so when I go into Safe Model (using the method you state above), do I just load BootSafe to scan? I thought BootSafe has to restart and go into safe mode itself, not manually as described above.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    can you copy and paste or type in the url?

you really need to decontaminate that pc. malwarebytes and avast free editon are good. you should also run gmer to check for rootkits.

you may need to have a pro work on it, or consider re-formatting the hard drive and re-installing windows at this point.
    --
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    hech54, so when I go into Safe Model (using the method you state above), do I just load BootSafe to scan? I thought BootSafe has to restart and go into safe mode itself, not manually as described above.
    BootSafe isn't a scanner. I never said it was a scanner. BootSafe gets you to Windows Safe Mode.
    Windows....in Safe Mode....is the BEST way to scan for hidden "nasties" on your computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wouldn't say that... at least, not after having seen rootkits that do their best to disable scanners and certain other processes from working, whitelisting themselves, disabling Safe Mode and System Restore...

Best would be not to boot into the infected system at all, so that the processes aren't running, and scan it from the outside. But finding a good scanner to do just that could be difficult.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara
    I wouldn't say that... at least, not after having seen rootkits that do their best to disable scanners and certain other processes from working, whitelisting themselves, disabling Safe Mode and System Restore...

Best would be not to boot into the infected system at all, so that the processes aren't running, and scan it from the outside. But finding a good scanner to do just that could be difficult.
    Not for a newbie or rookie who never even knew about Safe Mode until a few days ago.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by hech54
    hi hech54, my computer is F12 to choose start up mode. I try SAFE MODE and it will try to reboot my computer. I dont know what is wrong with my computer, but whenever it tries to restart, it just goes black and gets stuck. I even tried SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING but doesnt work. I'm not sure what is wrong with my comptuer, but it cannot restart.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Ai Haibara

Ai Haibara, what do you recommend? I am running Malwarebytes' antimalware, SUPERantispyware and Adaware. Everytime I re-run the first two programs, it will find spyware (even though I just did a full computer scan the day before). These infections cause my computer to re-direct me to weird websites, not taking me to the links I want to go to. It constantly creates these pop-up sites from Google, to take surveys and make money, even though my security settings are set to MEDIUM and pop-up program is turned ON.
    Quote Quote