VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So, I've been debating for a little while between purchasing DVDFab or AnyDVD and thanks to some technical issues that showed themselves with DVDFAB, I'll be going with AnyDVD...and thanks to their current promotion, it's a good deal. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and purchase CloneDVD as well. I'm trying the trial version and it seems to work fine, but wouldn't the free tools (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink) work just fine since AnyDVD is there to remove protection? Or am I missing something special about CloneDVD?

For anyone interested, the issue I ran into with DVDFAB occurs when I am ripping multiple discs in a row to my system. It seems like there is a memory leak or something and once I get to the 4th or 5th disc, DVDFAB just locks up, won't go past "Scanning the media" (the blue bar) and if I try to use Task Manager to kill the process, the program screen will disappear but the process remains running and I can't kill it. This is on Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and I was specifically launching Task Manager as Administrator. It killed explorer.exe at one point too. The system won't even shut down cleanly while the process continues to run...had to hard power off. So, no thanks DVDFAB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    AnyDVD and the freeware version of DVDFabDecrypter is all you will ever need IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately given the problem I'm having with DVDFab (using the free version part of it) I am not particularly inclined to keep it on my system at all. I don't like programs that hang my system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I never saw the need for CloneDVD either. I use DVDShrink in combination with AnyDVD any time I need a transcoder, but generally use DVDRebuilder when backing up dvds.

There have been a few dvds that caused problems in the past when using the Shrink-AnyDVD combination. The solution that generally works is to rip with the built in ripper within AnyDVD then open the movie on the hard drive with Shrink. You can also run it through FixVTS first, before using Shrink, though I have only come across one that really caused problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like CloneDVD because it shows each title and it helps me to decide to keep the extra features included in a DVD video production ... my wife like it when a DVD shows the stuff related to how the movie was made.

But I dont like keeping Trailers and CloneDVD helps reveal them.

I bought both AnyDVD and CloneDVD ... a few years ago ... bought both in a package deal ... for $68 bucks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why buy clonedvd when you have freeware dvd shrink and dvdrebuilder....I just bought ANYDVD HD since the price was hard to resist. I backup on dvdrebuilder pro so I have no need for clonedvd. I get better video quality using dvdrebuilder pro.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lacywest

I bought both AnyDVD and CloneDVD ... a few years ago ... bought both in a package deal ... for $68 bucks.
    Well, a combo of AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD isn't quite that cheap, but bundled and with their current promotion it came out to just over 75 euro or about $107. CloneDVD was only 12 euro when bundled with AnyDVD HD. I did do a couple tests with it last night and seems to work fine so decided to go for it. I may end up back on the free tools, but I've spend the equivalent of 12 euro on much worse things.

It seems I should check out DVDRebuilder. It is not one I've checked out before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trimicada
    Originally Posted by lacywest

Well, a combo of AnyDVD HD + CloneDVD isn't quite that cheap, but bundled and with their current promotion it came out to just over 75 euro or about $107. CloneDVD was only 12 euro when bundled with AnyDVD HD. I did do a couple tests with it last night and seems to work fine so decided to go for it. I may end up back on the free tools, but I've spend the equivalent of 12 euro on much worse things.

It seems I should check out DVDRebuilder. It is not one I've checked out before.
    Yes ... check out DVD Rebuilder ... I also bought it to ... when it cost ... $10 bucks ... and it works great ... I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD together ... take out the stuff I dont need with CloneDVD ... and then use DVD Rebuilder Pro to shrink the size.

Works for me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. It depends. I bought into the CloneDVD/AnyDVD/CloneDVD Mobile triple bundle offer at $88 back in 2006, and have been very happy with it. But I have to agree with those who criticize SlySoft for their recent shady "never the same price one day to the next" and "a different set of upgrade limitations every week" policies. If you can lock in both a good price and lifetime free upgrades, the CloneDVD/AnyDVD combo is wicked fast, very easy to use and makes cutting the fat or splitting a DVD-9 across two DVD-5s a simple process. I don't use the BD features, but I gather the SlySoft combo is the most reliable/simple for BD tasks as well. And SlySoft products have never crashed or locked up on me, even when loaded on to my ancient unstable XP Pro sludgebox.

To some degree, satisfaction with CloneDVD hinges on your priorities and expectations. CloneDVD makes decent compressions down to about 84%, then gets progressively noticeably worse. There is a lot more headroom if the source material was made on video, such as a TV series disc, and less if the source was made on film. DVDfab runs into the same limitations, it just produces results with a different "look" that some find preferable. DVDrebuilder does far better transcoding than either of these, but I don't find it worth the extra time or effort for my purposes. I use backups for travel and smaller screens, if I really need stunning quality on a large screen I'll just buy an extra copy of the commercial release.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DVD Rebuilder doesn't transcode. DVD Rebuilder re-encodes. DVD Rebuilder with CCE or HC as the encoder will result in better quality than any transcoding program.

CloneDVD is useful in numerous ways and some people use it merely as a ripper without using it for transcoding. If I want to create a DVD-5 backup from a DVD-9 disc then I rip it using CloneDVD and re-encode with DVD Rebuilder. CloneDVD is the most compatible ripper with AnyDVD and the output can be used in just about any other program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by trimicada
    You won't be disappointed with DVDREBUILDER PRO...It's the best $30.00 you're gonna spend if you decide on buying the PRO version. It does actual video encoding rather than transcoding by using Cinema Craft Encoder or the built in free video encoders like HC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HemLok
    DVD Rebuilder doesn't transcode. DVD Rebuilder re-encodes. DVD Rebuilder with CCE or HC as the encoder will result in better quality than any transcoding program.

CloneDVD is useful in numerous ways and some people use it merely as a ripper without using it for transcoding. If I want to create a DVD-5 backup from a DVD-9 disc then I rip it using CloneDVD and re-encode with DVD Rebuilder. CloneDVD is the most compatible ripper with AnyDVD and the output can be used in just about any other program.
    After everything I said ... and have shrunk the movie with DVD Rebuilder or have used VSO ConvertXtoDVD 4 to create a DVD Video folder ... I still go back to CloneDVD to burn the DVD Video to a DVD disk ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lacywest
    After everything I said ... and have shrunk the movie with DVD Rebuilder or have used VSO ConvertXtoDVD 4 to create a DVD Video folder ... I still go back to CloneDVD to burn the DVD Video to a DVD disk ...
    Because Imgburn can't . . . . . . . . . ?

What an odd thing to do
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If DVDFab has a memory leak or something, why not just close and re-open it after each disc?
    Quote Quote  
  15. lacywest wrote:
    so do i the
    Quote Quote