VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So I want to convert realplayer files like rmvb to a compliant format for dvd. Is there a good program to mux or convert to a dvd compliant format? If not then at least a format that I could work with in Nero vision since it doesn't support realplayer formats. Even formats like mpeg-2 or avi. Or something else.

I use nero vision but it doesn't support rmvb files or any realplayer files in general.

I have used convertxtodvd but that one doesn't allow me to make decent menus and I really want to make a good menu so could someone recommend a good program to convert or make dvds with good menus with realplayer files?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try all-in-one converters like format factory, any video converter, xmedia recode and convert to mpeg2 dvd or avi and then import in nerovision.

Or use convertxtodvd, output to your hd and then import the video_ts folder in nerovision.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I might try the others are they all free? I use convertxtodvd and used nero after that. The rmvb files went out of sync the audio and the video that is. It was weird because the convertxtodvd program said it is out of sync but when I watch it, there is nothing wrong. it's when convertxtodvd converts it and I watch it as a dvd file that it's out of sync or they completely lose the volume if you let them "fix it".
    Is there a better converter?
    Also technically after I convert the movie files to dvd files wouldn't it take much faster to create a dvd? since the files are already dvd files? It's weird that nero vision takes another 3 hours to rearrange the video files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero is probably re-encoding them once again, a bad habit with Nero, even with DVD compliant files at times. I've had the best luck with converting RMVB files with Any Video Converter. Then you just need to 'author' them to the DVD format and specifications, then burn them to disc with ImgBurn.

Authoring should only take a few minutes, longer if you want to create custom menus, etc. You can use the freeware authoring program GUI for dvdauthor or the simpler DVDAuthorgui.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Nero Vision re-encodes everything, which is why none of our experienced members use it or take it seriously.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm so it re-encodes everything that makes sense. As I had once encoded all the files to vob dvd files but for some reason it took another 4 hours to finish which I didn't understand but now it makes sense. But I thought they had smart encoding. where they detect which are already coded and don't need to be recoded? Or maybe that isn't as great as it seems? Oh well.
    Anyway do you guys have good recommendations for a good dvd menu maker that is like nero vision but well doesn't have to re-encode everything?
    Or better yet what do you recommend I use to make dvd menus?

I just used Any Video Recorder the video is in sync for now I have to finish checking the whole video tomorrow but the quality is very bad compared to the original. Is there a setting?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Any Video Converter more often for conversions to AVI type filetypes, but there is a 'DVD Video NTSC Movie' profile that uses 8000Kb/s video bitrate that should give you good quality. For the other MPEG-2 video profiles, up the bitrate. About 9000 - 10000Kb/s is about the maximum, as you need some space for the audio.

But the higher the bitrate, the larger the file. Not a problem with short videos, but with one over two hours, you may end up with too big a file for a DVD using the higher bitrates. Also figure about 100 - 200MB space for the DVD authoring, depending on the type of menus, etc., used. You can use a bitrate calculator to determine optimum bitrate for your desired filesize, like this one: https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VideoHelp_Bitrate_calculator
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do I have to get the pro version? When I up the bitrate because the max is 8000 or less can't remember. But it doesn't let me go higher they say I need the pro version of the converter.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I only use the pro version, so I wasn't aware of that limitation.
    Quote Quote