VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I have an avi of a video (which was dubbed in russian, with the original english stream present in it as well)

I was able to use VirtualDubMOD and get the English stream seperately.

I then combined them together. However, when I watched it, the audio hardly fitted in with the video. I noticed that the video length was much less than the audio was.

Is there any way I can synth the audio and video together? Thanks very much
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What is the video length and the audio length?

You can stretch the audio to match the video length using an audio editor like audacity. But the video could also be edited in different ways...then it's tons of work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video length is 1 hour 34 minutes and 28 seconds, while the audio length is 1 hour 45 minutes

I ripped the audio again for a second time. This time, it came up to 1 hour 34 minutes and 28 seconds (same length as audio) but I noticed that a bit from the end is missing.

thanks

is there a tutorial or something I can read about stretching the audio as you mentioned? thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What format is the audio stream? Mp3? Ac3? Something else? See if the audio stream is VBR (variable bitrate), which can be misread by some players. If so, I suggest you encode at CBR (constant bitrate).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may have better luck with Avidemux.
    Vdubmod is a bit old and can have glitches with MP3.

Have video and audio (on the left where you select the output formats) set to "copy" and then under the audio menu deselect the Russian track.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone! I will try those other programs and post back here with the results
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi

I seperated the audio stream and the video using Avidemux and got two files.

The length of the audio file is now 1 hour 33 minutes and 9 seconds, and the length of the video file is 1 hour 34 minutes and 28 seconds.

I combined the two together using Avidemux and the file I got was well in synth and worked perfectly until about 4 minutes in. After that, the audio seemed to move a bit fast for a second or two, and from that the audio and video seemed to get more and more apart.

And filmboss80, could you tell me how to encode the audio the CBR if possible? thanks

I also downloaded audacity, and tried to load the file into it, but it started by saying it will take a few seconds to extract the mp3, and then the time started stretching into hours until it came to 10 hours, and still was increasing. Does that mean there is something wrong with the audio?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and something else I noticed is that, on the merged video, at around 5 minutes into the movie, the audio and video are separated by about 2 seconds, with the video coming first, and then the corresponding audio coming next.

At about 40 minutes into the movie they are seperated by about 10 seconds, with the video coming first, and then the audio coming (ten seconds) after
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For changing VBR to CBR, I would go back to what you first did in VirtualDub (of course, make sure you have the Lame mp3 encoder installed), with just this change: Under Audio, make sure you're in Full Processing Mode. I suggest you also go under Audio > Conversion and tick 48000Hz, 16-bit, Stereo. Thereafter, go to Audio > Compression, and make sure you have Lame MP3 selected. There should be a box to the right hand with a list to select from (if not, tick "Show all formats"), and you should select 48000 Hz, 128 kbps CBR, Stereo. (You can go higher than 128 kbps, but this is a good and generally safe bitrate for divx and xvid avi movies. Above all else, make sure you don't have ABR selected.)

On the video part, select "Direct stream copy" so that the video stream of the AVI is not reencoded. Then go with File>Save as AVI.

Give that a try. If only the audio stream is being changed, the process should not take very long.

See if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it with VirtualDub ... unfortunately it didn't work. I'll just do the same thing with Avidemux and see how it goes
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! That worked! Thank you soooooooo much ... to everyone.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I did was, I opened the video file in Avidemux, and deselected the Russian track, and set the audio as mentioned above. Then I saved it as a new avi, and it works brilliantly now.
    Thanks so much, again
    Quote Quote