VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I’ve been scouring the internet trying to find an answer that can help me but they all turned up to be either useless or irrelevant in the end. People will talk a great game like they know so much about it and once their overly long replies are finished there still is no solution. I know I am the one asking for help and I am grateful if you can help me, but if you don’t have an answer/solution please don’t reply. And please keep the replies simply.

First please don’t give me any answers with the word “PC" in it, that’s not what I want. I want to watch HDTV on my monitor not PC. If I can’t watch in High Definition then the highest quality possible.

Question: (How) Can I watch HDTV on my LCD monitor?

Specs:
    My monitor is LG M237WS. Capable of Full HD 1080p. I bought my monitor in Japan and of course it has no coaxial cable. What it does have is
    Yes: HDMI in (x2)
    Yes: DVI-D in
    Yes: D-Sub
    Yes: RS232C
    Yes: Component in
    Yes: AV in
    Yes: S Video cable

I know I should be able to do something with one of those. If I get cable TV with some type of satellite and box, with all the connections I have would there be someway to hook the box up directly to the monitor and have it work. Again I don’t want to bring any PC talk into this as it acting as a mediator, I want it to be as direct as possible. I don’t also really know what tuner boxes do. If there is some kind of tuner box I can buy to make the connection work what box would that be (web links appreciated).

LG has this exact same monitor in the US but it has a coaxial cable-in built in and mine doesn’t, that model is here http://www.amazon.com/LG-M237WD-PM-23-Inch-Widescreen-Multi-Function/dp/B0025TR2XC/ref...127265&sr=1-35

My apologies if I come off as a dick but I hate when people beat around the bush and don’t know what they are talking about, I’m allergic to it. Thank you to anyone who gets me the correct answer first.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That LG is more than a computer monitor. It is a tunerless TV. There are several ways to connect it.

1. HDMI (has HDCP by definition).

2. Analog components

3. A/V in (480i only)

4. S-Video (480i only)

A normal computer monitor with VGA / DVI-D inputs would require HDCP to work at all with cable/sat tuners. Even then, it would only work for progressive source (i.e. 720x480p/60, 1280x720p/60 and maybe 1920x1080p/60).
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. An HD cable box should have HDMI, DVI, or Component outputs. Plug it into the monitor with the appropriate cable. If the cable box doesn't have any of those HD outputs use s-video or composite for SD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As others said, with that particular monitor, you should be able to view HDTV programming in HD using either the component or HDMI connections on an HD cable box or HD satellite receiver.

There may be some external tuners you could use for over-the-air HD programming via antenna.

Some here will also tune unencrypted digital cable, but not satellite service, and not digital cable that is entirely fiber-optic. These are examples of what we presently have in the USA that would work with that type of monitor. There used to be some higher-quality HDTV tuners available, but those seem to have disappeared from the US market.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260022

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260027

Since I can't speak or read Japanese, it isn't possible for me to look for similar products that would work in Japan.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Excuse my language but you guys are ******* awesome! I got more than what I bargained for. Credit is given where credit is due. Three great overnight replies when I logged back in. I searched long and hard for a forum where I believed someone could give me a clear direct answer and I knew this would be the one. I created an account just so that I could ask you guys. Ultimately I knew edDV would be the first to reply.

I apologize for the double posting of this topic. A similar topic is in the DVB / HDTV forum already but the other guys monitor didn’t have as many connections as mine and the replies trying to help him was all Greek to me. I just wanted to know was it possible. Now that I know the answer is yes I am pretty confident with calling the cable company now to come over immediately to hook up a BS/CS satellite so I can actually get back to watching “some" American TV.

PS. Don’t worry about it usually_quiet, no need for you to speak Japanese. We got the same things here pretty much like back home in the states. It’s only regionalized through language only pretty much. You guys told me enough.

PPS I am American by the way, not Japanese. Life is ok here. If you ever plan on coming, just come here, get a hot chick, and leave as soon as possible. A bit overrated. Been here for 6 years, considering coming back to the real world soon.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar issue. I have the cable box w/DVI from box to monitor but the monitor is tunerless so I can't put it on CH-3 so I can use box as tuner!
    Can't figure it out. Help!! Lol
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ColdHearted1 View Post
    I have a similar issue. I have the cable box w/DVI from box to monitor but the monitor is tunerless so I can't put it on CH-3 so I can use box as tuner!
    Can't figure it out. Help!! Lol
    If the cable box has a DVI-out port and the monitor has a DVI-in port, then the monitor doesn't doesn't need a tuner.

However, if this monitor is a regular LCD computer monitor (not a tunerless TV like the OP had) the picture won't look good unless the cablebox's output resolution matches the monitor's natural resolution. Plus, the video signal needs to be progressive at 60 Hz, not interlaced.
    Quote Quote