VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking to burn a Blu-ray Data Disc consisting of a mix of .wav files and video.ts files for backup purposes. Should I use the ISO9660 + UDF 1.02 file structure that we use for Data DVD or should I use UDF 2.50 since it's going on a Blu-ray disc. I ask because the data is going on a Blu-ray disc but doesn't consist of Blu-ray video files. Or will either option work in this case.

TIA
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    About all I can do is to refer you to this Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format I've been using 1.02 with ImgBurn for BD data files, but I've no idea if that is the best option.

Others may have better advice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use udf 2.5 or 2.6 to burn authored BDMV/CERTIFICATE folders,for blu-ray UDF 1.02 will work fine.The only reason to use ISO9660 is for programs that can only read the old dos 8+3 characters,depending on what level ISO9960 its limited to.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you think you might have a need for it to be read by Windows XP or an earlier version of Windows you could use 1.02, but honestly I don't think that's very important and you might as well use 2.5 or 2.6.

ISO9660 compatibility is essentially useless in my opinion and if any of your files are larger than 4 GB, you will not be allowed to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by jman98
    If you think you might have a need for it to be read by Windows XP or an earlier version of Windows you could use 1.02, but honestly I don't think that's very important and you might as well use 2.5 or 2.6.

That was my guess, 1.02 would be ok but might as well go with the newer 2.50. I wasn't sure whether or not the 2.50 was strictly for BDMV/CERTIFICATE or can be used with data BD containing non-BDMV files as well.

I'm running Windows 7, so I'll give 2.50 a shot and see what happens. Thanks for the response guys .
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Udf 1.02 up to 2.6 are pretty well meant for optical drives and how they are burned and read with improvements to cdrw/dvdrw and blu-ray,udf was brought out to replace ISO9660 so as long as you system can read udf 2.5 burn away,the reason you burn blu-ray movies with 2.5,2.6 is because the blu-ray players are designed to read that stradegy it is burned as.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,
    I have several BD-RE's that have a combo of zip, regular files, and exe's. I can't remember how I did it, but I didn't change all files like I'm reading. Any help, going nuts, it just wasn't that hard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you burn the discs as data, it doesn't much matter what the files format is. I've put just about everything on a BD data disc, much as I have on a DVD data disc and a CD data disc.

Now if you want to make a BD compliant disc that will play on most any set top BD player, then you generally have to 'author' it to get the 'exact' BD specs. But some set top BD players will accept MP4 or MKV container formatted files. If you really need a 'true' BD set top compliant disc, look to the top left on this page for 'WHAT IS' Blu-ray to get all the specifications, formats and features of a commercial type BD disc.

I always used ImgBurn for DVDs and BD burning. No coasters to date.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, redwudz. Setting up imageburn now. I'm pretty sure I did it in "Build" mode.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ImgBurn log 2.logWow, what a delay, pardon. ok, can you tell what's wrong from the log?
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Crappy discs,but verbatim instead.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Crappy discs,but verbatim instead.
    Not sure what that means but try better discs. Not having deep pockets I'll try the ever popular Melody's, or wait till they raise SS. lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks johns0
    Didn't think of trying a different disc. Duuh
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, really odd. (to me) Did another burn of files and no go with Melody disc. Put the Ritek disc in (Was rejected before) and it burns. Any reason just changing discs would trigger a good burn?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Bad discs-bad burns. Good discs-good burns. Great discs- great burns. Melody is likely bad. Ritek is good. Verbatim, TY is great.

Udf 1.02 was created specifically for Authored DVD-Video. Authored BDMV uses 2.5/2.6. ISO9660 is a bridge meant for backward compatibility with old OSes and players (pre-Win2k, and pre-2005 settops). Otherwise it is unnecessary and superfluous. Data discs can use whatever works, but it is best to keep them in the generation that they were built around.
    So CD-ISO9660, UDF 1.5, UDF 2.01.
    DVD-UDF 1.02, UDF 2.01, maybe UDF 2.5.
    BD- UDF 2.5 or 2.6.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	img.jpg
Views:	1639
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	34016now all I'm getting is "layouts do not match" I'm in the middle of nowhere, can't just run out and buy Verbatim. Have you a source for ordering?
    What type?
    Last edited by skoville; 11th Oct 2015 at 12:14. Reason: add img
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by skoville View Post
    now all I'm getting is "layouts do not match" I'm in the middle of nowhere, can't just run out and buy Verbatim. Have you a source for ordering?
    What type?
    I have bought optical media from all these sources. Watch for sales at newegg.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Blu-ray-Recordable-25-Disc-97457/dp/B00471HK0Q/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130156

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?N=10741448

Do not buy Verbatim BD-R LTH except for short-term use. LTH BD media degrades more quickly than the regular/HTL media above.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.rima.com/
    http://www.meritline.com/
    http://www.supermediastore.com/

These are three of the bigger dealers and most times have the best prices.

You can also get discs through Amazon or other online retailers.

I've burned close to a hundred Verbatim BD data discs, both SL and DL and I have never had a failure. I mostly use Verbatim Branded Blu-Ray 6X BD-R Media 25GB 10 Pack in Cake Box (97238) , though more often I get a cake box of 50 which are cheaper per disc. You can also try the cheaper LTH (Low To High) versions, but they mostly work well with newer burners.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We shop mostly at the same stores. Supermedia shows LTH but not HTL. I'll try others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have been using RIMA.com for nearly a decade.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow..same withe newegg. How to find HTL?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! Thanks Scott. gREAT PRICES.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't see any "HTL". Is it HTL unless it states LTH?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure about the 'HTL' but most of the other Verbatim discs work well. I also use the DL Verbatims, but they are hard to find in the US.
    Per MB of storage, the Verbatim SL and DL discs are actually cheaper than Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DVDs for data storage.

You can try other brands, but they may have a lower success rate and storage life than VBs.
    Also some burners don't work as well with some inexpensive brands. I just buy quality and don't have problems.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by skoville View Post
    Is it HTL unless it states LTH?
    Normally the answer is "Yes".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. I'll keep plugging away.
    Quote Quote