VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i need to get a new TV and would like to get one that can hook into the ethernet connection around the house and log into the file server to play movies stored on the file server.

got any suggestions?

i do NOT want to hook a computer to the tv and use it as a monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No HTPC,

WD HDTV http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735
    or Seagate Media Player http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=null&vgnextoid=20558215c7ab321...001a48090aRCRD

Both have ethernet connections for streaming, among other uses.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tv with ethernet connection ?

i do NOT want to hook a computer to the tv and use it as a monitor
    You don't have to ... I use my system for work and at same time have video sent to the tv in the other room for the young one's to watch via tv out port from the gpu card ... they don't bug me for a while , lol
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Bjs
    Tv with ethernet connection ?
    http://www.televisions.com/tvs/samsung-televisions/samsung-lcd-tvs/Samsung-UE-32-B-7000.php

It seems to exist.

Actually I'm very curious to that 7 series. Someone has any experience?
    Quote Quote  
  5. You will pay several hundred dollars more for an HDTV with an ethernet connection and the ability to play media files. And it's abilities will likely be pretty limited. You're better off spending US$120 for something like the WDTV Live.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The Samsung UE 32 B 7000 supports the following file formats: .avi, .mkv, and .asf. These container formats support various codecs: DivX 3.11, 4.x, 5.1, and 6.0, XviD, H.264 (BP/MP/SP), MPEG-4 ASP, and Motion JPEG. The 7000 series only supports DivX up to a resolution of 800 x 600 pixels. The TV will also play back Windows Media Video (.wmv), .mp4, .3gp, .vro, and .mpg files, and, last but not least, it can handle MPEG program and transport streams (.ps/.ts) - these can use MPEG-2, H.264, or VC1 encoding.

For audio formats, this Samsung accepts AAC, HE-AAC, AC3 (Dolby Digital), Dolby Digital Plus, LPCM, MP3, and ADPCM (μ-law, A-law). JPEG photos with up to 15,360 x 8,640 pixels should also display correctly.
    IMO not really limited (if it all works).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got a Samsung 8-series that's wired (DivX certified and supports MKV), but I still prefer using the PS3 for streaming videos... the UI is much snappier and more responsive than the TV. Keep in mind that most extenders, consoles and HTPC do a better job at network streaming because of the dedicated hardware.
    You'll find me at:
    DivX Labs and the DivX Developer Portal
    Follow us on Twitter: @DivXLabs
    Quote Quote