VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I downloaded an 8.5 gig mkv with an aspect ratio that is just a tad bit skewed. Its an 16:9 but the image looks too squashed that way and looks much better at 4:3. So im wondering what app i should use for making minor changes like this? When i searched the forum it pointed me to a guide that was last updated in 2005 so i thought i should better ask instead. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you much Baldrick! I already have those apps but i didnt know you could do that with them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there something that works on AVI's too?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    mpeg4modifier. But not all players will read the aspect ratio in avi files.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    mpeg4modifier. But not all players will read the aspect ratio in avi files.
    Hi Baldrick,

What do you mean by your comment here ... could you put it in a dummy-proof lingo if possible!

Thanks,

G!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to keep bumping but is there something that works on WMV's too? There are just so many movies on the net with a bad ratio! Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Vato,

Baldrick and couple of other folks here are the experts ... but if you have a WMV file ... my guess would be it is best to convert it 1st to an AVI ... then you can deal with it with the Tools are available here ...

One tool that Bladrick suggested to me and just recently used is "AVI Recomp 1.5.0" ... it walks you thru total reconverting of the file ... but it is timely ... which I have no Patience for that ...

Hope this was of some help ...

G!
    Quote Quote  
  8. VirtualDub + DirectShow plugin.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    VirtualDub + DirectShow plugin.
    I have the plugin and ive gone thru the panel but i dont see where to change the ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Either use the Resize filter to change to a 4:3 frame size and use square pixel encoding, or leave the resolution intact and set 4:3 DAR in the output codec (assuming whatever codec you want to use supports DAR flags).

There's another possibility: if you can find a program that will remux from the WMV container to an MKV container you can use the MKV header to specify a display aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Any way to change a mov's aspect ratio? =)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, i have a problem. I just downloaded an mkv thats set at 1440 1080 and mkvmerge is not fixing it. I set the display width at 1080x1920 and then i tried 1280x720 but the output always comes out at the source's settings. Am i doing something wrong? Please help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vato76 View Post
    Guys, i have a problem. I just downloaded an mkv thats set at 1440 1080 and mkvmerge is not fixing it. I set the display width at 1080x1920 and then i tried 1280x720 but the output always comes out at the source's settings. Am i doing something wrong? Please help.
    yep ive got a couple mkv's that are 16:9 but play as 4:3 ive changed the header with mkvmerge but they still play as 4:3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok mkvmerge has worked for me afterall. i was playing the wrong copy of the file after editing the header.

just changed DISPLAY HEIGHT in the header to what it should be and now the file plays correctly as 16:9
    Quote Quote  
  15. the correct answer is:
    Code:
    mkvpropedit /video.mkv --edit track:1 --set display-height=x
    Quote Quote