VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have recorded a wedding video with my JVC GZ-HD30 (setting: Full-HD, MPEG2) and want to convert the film to DVD-PAL (Germany). I use Sony Vegas 7.0e. Normally HD-Videos should be upper field first, and DVD lower field first.

There are two different settings in Vegas: one for the project and one for file output. I have tried different combinations of settings:

Project
    1. uff, no deinterlacing
    2. progressive, no deinterlacing
    3. progressive, blend fields

Output:
    1. uff
    2. progressive.

In any of the combinations the motion of the video isn’t as smooth as the original (jaggies or “double” pictures). Do you have any idea, which setting delivers the best motion quality? It doesn’t matter, if the output file is interlaced or progressive.

Please excuse my poor English.

Kind regards

miepel
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    project and output should stay interlaced tff if that's the way the source is. dvd format doesn't care if it's tff or bff, either one is fine.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use MediaInfo to check the properties of your video then set the DVD properties to those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have tried this setting (uff and no deinterlacing for project, uff for output), but the output showed jaggies. Perhaps there is an error in Vegas 7, but I guess it has something to do with the resolution change (1080i to 576i).
    Quote Quote  
  5. What were the original properties and field rate?

Was the original 1080i and 50 fields/sec?

mediainfo (view=>text) and paste the text output back here
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here is the Sheet of MediaInfofor one video file:

--------------------------------------------------------
    General
    ID : 1
    Complete name : F:\Hochzeit Micki und Fitschi 2009\Original\MOV00B.TOD
    Format : BDAV
    Format/Info : Blu-ray Video
    File size : 165 MiB
    Duration : 52s 29ms
    Overall bit rate : 26.5 Mbps
    Maximum Overall bit rate : 30.0 Mbps

Video
    ID : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@High
    Format settings, Matrix : Default
    Duration : 51s 680ms
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 25.1 Mbps
    Nominal bit rate : 28.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.484
    Stream size : 155 MiB (94%)

Audio
    ID : 4129 (0x1021)
    Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
    Format : MPEG Audio
    Format version : Version 1
    Format profile : Layer 2
    Duration : 51s 816ms
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
    Resolution : 16 bits
    Video delay : -80ms
    Stream size : 2.37 MiB (1%)
    -----------------------------------------------------------

The original is 1920x1080i, the DVD schould be 720x576i.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have tried this setting (uff and no deinterlacing for project, uff for output), but the output showed jaggies. Perhaps there is an error in Vegas 7, but I guess it has something to do with the resolution change (1080i to 576i).
    In theory, this interlaced resize should have worked properly, and it does in Vegas 9 according to tests I did for another project. Perhaps Vegas 7 is doing something differently?

How are you examining the output? On a PC monitor and PC DVD player ? or on a standalone DVD player connected to TV ?

A standalone DVD player will deinterlace it properly and it should look fine, but a PC software player might not unless you instruct it to deinterlace on playback
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have controlled the quality with my PC on a LG TFT and a Pioneer DVD Recorder, connected to my Toshiba LCD-TV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So you put a burned DVD disc into the DVD Recorder for playback, and you still saw jaggies ?

Do you have another DVD player to test? It might be deinterlacing it poorly (but I doubt it)

I only started using Vegas when it was version 8, so I don't know if Vegas 7 had issues with interlaced resizing. Maybe some other folk know
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    even version 6 of vegas handled interlaced -> interlace fine. vegas only falls apart on interlaced -> progressive and i -> p -> i.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  11. I put the files on a DVD and watched them with my Pioneer DVD Recorder on my Toshiba LCD (connected by Scart RGB) and my Yamaha DVD Player (connected by HDMI, no upscaling). The results were the same
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi,

I think I have found the solution. With the following settings, the interlaced output file looks fine:

If you want to downsize a video with Vegas (e.g. 1920x1080i to 520x576i), you have to set your project to “field order: upper field first” and “deinterlacing: blend fields”, although you don’t want it to be deinterlaced. The output setting is “field order: upper field first”. It seems that Vegas “needs” this deinterlacing setting to downsize the video correctly. Here you can read the statement of another user, which agrees with me (please scroll a bit):

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/342018-field-order-hd-sd.html

Does anybody agree with these thoughts? Does it matter, whether the project setting is “blend fields” or “interpolate fields”? I could hardly see a difference and the file size is exactly the same. Remember, there is no deinterlacing at all.

Kind regards

miepel

PS: Please excuse my poor English again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey if it works that's fine... when i need vegas to deinterlace i use it's interpolate fields setting, as i get better results from it.

for my own material i always shoot 1080 progressive and vegas has no problem making interlaced dvd mpeg-2 from it, or making youtube type online video from it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. "deinterlacing: blend fields" will blur the two fields together leading to frames that look like blurry double exposures when there is a lot of motion and half the field/frame rate. That is one of the worst deinterlacing methods.

My guess is Vegas probably doesn't recognize your source is interlaced. Check the source properties and force it to interlaced if necessary.
    Quote Quote