VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought used an Asrock 330 that I thought I would try as an HTPC. I have converted a ton of BR to mkv and put on a server (naslite). Everything plays back superbly!!! Love it. However, is there a way to tell MPC to size my videos appropriately? I would like it to display just what the movie aspect ratio is. MPC has a bunch of pan and scan options as well as options for sizing such as "normal size" "half size" "stretch to window", etc. Is there a way to set this up properly from the start so that I see the whole movie on my 32" LCD (or 50" plasma) or do I need to resize at the start depending on what is playing?

thanks for any advice.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  2. Video Frame -> Touch Window From Inside
    Video Frame -> Keep Aspect Ratio
    Video Frame -> Override Aspect Ratio -> Default
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks...this should work for everything? See all video?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  4. It will work for all video with proper aspect ratio settings. And all the filters in the chain must pass the AR flags. If the video was encoded improperly or has the wrong AR flags it will not work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm....I made the MKVs, so encoding done. I use mkvmerge and sent in the aspect ratios in the meta data.

how do the media tanks do this so you do not need to alter anything?

thanks for your input
    Quote Quote  
  6. What's wrong with what MPCHC is doing? It works for me.

NMT's use very specific software where all this is already set up. But if I recall correctly, the MPCHC settings I listed are the defaults.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What do you mean by "media tank" ?

Are you streaming this? I'm not familiar with "naslite". Some software won't accept AR flags in the mkv container.

The other option would be to encode AR information into the elementary stream. And option 3 would be to resize and encode 1:1 which should always display properly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jagaboo

I noticed that some of the video seemed to be cropped either at top or bottom. Will check when I get some. Perhaps my LCD needs to be looked at as well.

@poisondeathray

a media tank is a networked media tank (forgot the network in my original post), such as popcorn hour, iobox, tvix, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ron spencer
    I noticed that some of the video seemed to be cropped either at top or bottom.
    That may be your HDTV overscanning.
    Quote Quote