VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if there are already a few threads for this, but search is not working for me for some reason. Here's what I need. Pretty simple:

Software that is...
    Free (or very, very close to being so)
    Allows me to adjust the color saturation, contrast, brightness of an MPEG video and then save the file with newly adjusted settings.

That's it. I don't need a complex piece of software here. I'm an amateur. That's all I need it for. Yeah, I know how to use Google, but it just keeps leading me in circles. (Mostly to sites for "free" software that actually require paid activation to use.)

Thanks if you can help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VirtualdubMod is free, supports mpg input and has a multitude of filters to modify your video as required; it doesn't support re-encoding to mpeg2 though, but is more commonly used to output to Xvid format. If you want to keep your video as an mpg then I suggest you look into using DGMpgDec (DGIndex) together with AVISynth and HCEnc. Virtualdub is still useful as a preview tool to find out what settings to use when changing brightness/contrast etc.

Virtualdub and AVISynth are incredibly powerful tools and not the easiest to get to grips with, but there are many guides out there. Here's a sample AVISynth script (myvideo.avs) to get you started:
    Code:
    #load dgindex plugin
    loadplugin("D:\avtools\dgmpgdec\DGDecode.dll")
    # load d2v file (output from running DGindex on mpg file)
    mpeg2source("d:\tmp\5mintest.d2v")
    #decrease brightness and increase contrast (hue,sat,bright,contrast)
    Tweak(0,1,-10,1.5)
    Manual page for Tweak : http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Tweak

If you only want to watch the video on your computer then you can just right-click on the AVS file and select Play, otherwise you will have to load the AVS file into HCEnc_GUI for re-encoding.

I know this is not a simple point-and-click solution, but once you get into it, it will give you hours of fun and maximum control over your video

Slainte

midders
    Quote Quote