VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a bunch of avi files among many from supposedly the same encoder that won't play in anything but VLC. Gspot doesn't even detect them and I can't open them in anything else including virtualdub. Are these corrupted? There doesn't appear to be any kind of reduction in file sizes compared to the ones that can actually play. When I do play them in VLC they run perfectly, but I get a "can't render file" message when I use media player classic. Can these be "repaired"?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    PLease post the details from the avi files. Use mediainfo, open avi, view->text and copy and paste it here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Video
    Format : MPEG-4 Visual
    Format profile : AdvancedSimple@L5
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, QPel : No
    Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
    Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
    Width : 576 pixels
    Height : 432 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Writing library : XviD 1.1.2 (UTC 2006-11-01)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try renaming the .extention part, to something like .mp4 and see if that does anything..it has worked for me on some cases.

I usually put a shortcut to KMplayer on my desktop..then I open a folder and just drag files that I want to play or am testing playback issues on. I usually have side-by-side, with VLC to. Sometimes opening up a file inside the player is not as effecient.

If anything, you may have to demux the video into separate video/audio parts and then remux back into another/new container..maybe .mkv or something. Give MP4box a go, it seems to be one of the most common tools thrown around for this sort of stuff, I think.

-vhelp 5277

:P *~*!*~*!~* HaPpY HoLiDaYs *~*!*~*!~*
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do you have a Divx/Xvid decoder installed?
    Quote Quote  
  6. There's nothing to demux. The audio doesn't appear to register when I input into either mp4box or mediainfo but I can hear it fine in VLC.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Do you have a Divx/Xvid decoder installed?
    Install xvid.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote