VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've owned a TiVo sine 2005, and I've done a helluva lot of taping through it. When I set up the wireless from my router to the DVR I was able to transfer things to the computer, watch them on Media Player (the only program I know which could read the "TiVo" extension) and then copy them to DVD.

When I was offered a "free" DVR from DirecTV (with an additional 2 year contract), I ordered it, but I'm now hearing from DirecTV that while I can "stream" to my computer, I can't actually copy the shows to there, and certainly won't be able to copy episodes onto DVDs!

Am I misinterpreting this information? And what do I need to even do that much? I'm told I don't need the separate wireless adapter, but I swear my IQ goes down a point every time I try to make sense of some of the directions at the site.

Any help, info, or whatever would be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To my knowledge, DirecTV doesn't have a means to do that yet. I was told by a rep that I could "link" a PC via USB to one, and it would show up as a drive. What a dumbass he was to tall me that, and a dumbass I was to believe it.

Anyway, the only way to do what you want is to hook that thing up to a capture device on a PC and get it that way. TiVo has TivoDesktop for their units, not the DirecTV ones.

SOOOO...if your primary use will be to get stuff to the PC, don't accept the DVR from DirecTV, because it won't do it.

FYI - It CAN stream. However, last I checked, the software was still in beta, and didn't really work that well for me. I'll be ditching them as soon as I can.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by funnel71
    To my knowledge, DirecTV doesn't have a means to do that yet.
    It's not a matter of "yet". Hollywood has forced the PVR manufacturers to remove the ability to digitally transfer unencrypted recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What a bunch of hooey! To me, what I'm trying to do is the equivalent of copying shows to videotape. The DVDs last longer than tape, of course, and they're way easier to catalog. Very much useless if they can't be stored aside from the DVR.

Thanks for the info--I thought I was somehow misinterpreting information--now it appears I was correct in my original evaluation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hyphenate
    To me, what I'm trying to do is the equivalent of copying shows to videotape. The DVDs last longer than tape, of course, and they're way easier to catalog. Very much useless if they can't be stored aside from the DVR.
    You can still do it but mainly by means of analog realtime capturing. You will need to physically connect it to a capture device on your computer or a free standing dvd recorder (or even an old vcr - though obviously not your situation).

You would simply play the recorded show and record on the receiving device. Of course any onscreen graphics would show during recording. And depedning on your recording device fastforwarding through commercials while dubbing may not be a good idea (transfer rate and such stuff).

But as has been mentioned digitally transferring a recorded show as a simple video file is being severly restricted on cable/sat/fios machines.

If you're looking for high def captures try looking into a hauppauge hdpvr. I have one and can capture in high def widescreen with 5.1. Of course it is physically connected via component cables and a fiber optic cable for surround sound. And I have to make sure I am not recording anything that will end while I'm dubbing it. My motorola dvr from comcast has a nasty habit of showing "recording finished" when a show is done recording. I have not found anyway to disable this so I have to make sure I am not recording any show while dubbing to get a "clean" copy of the show that was recorded.

Hope this is helpful.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by hyphenate
    What a bunch of hooey! To me, what I'm trying to do is the equivalent of copying shows to videotape.
    Hollywood is trying to eliminate that too. Any device that supports AACS encryption (Blu-ray players) manufactured after 2013 will not have any analog outputs at all. Every year for the last several years Hollywood has lobbied congress for "selective output controls". That would give them the ability to disable analog output from your cable box, satellite box, etc. whenever they want to. They say it's only for "new" services like paid view-on-demand movies viewable at the same time (or very shortly after) a movie is released in the theaters. But how long before the feature starts creeping into other areas? Or how long before they start delaying DVD and broadcast releases because they can get people to pay more for VOD? They've already managed to get all DVD recorders to respond to the "do not record" signal that can be embedded in analog video. Every now and then they switch the signal on "accidentally". They've also threatened distributors who sell to Redbox because they don't like the fact that Redbox rents movies for a dollar. And then there's the repeated extension of copyright terms over and over again. What was originally 14 years with and additional 14 years of you filed for it, is now the author's lifetime plus 70 years, or 95 years for works-for-hire. When Mickey Mouse approaches the public domain in 2023 (?) Disney will buy a few more congressmen to have copyright terms extended once again.

Have no doubt about it, Hollywood is looking for ways to make you pay every time you view a movie. And to eliminate the first sale doctrine so you can't rent them. They have lots of money to spend lobbying congress and will continue to do so until they get what they want.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="jagabo"]
    Originally Posted by hyphenate
    Any device that supports AACS encryption (Blu-ray players) manufactured after 2013 will not have any analog outputs at all.
    I've been looking at BR players lately and have been paying quite a bit of attention to the outputs. A couple of the recent models have now eliminated the Component outputs and only have HDMI and the lowly composite output.
    I too can see a day when they only have an HDMI output
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jjeff
    I've been looking at BR players lately and have been paying quite a bit of attention to the outputs. A couple of the recent models have now eliminated the Component outputs
    That's not an accident. The AACS license requires that as of the end of 2010, no player will have any HD analog outputs, only SD.

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/hollywood-drives-us-

Get your HD Fury or Mux HD now:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Products.shtm#HDFury
    http://www.curtpalme.com/MUX-HD.shtm

I have no affiliation with Curt Palme. It's just that what Hollywood is doing is pissing me off.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I guess this answers the question of where my DirecTV DVR recording signal went, "the "do not record" signal" must be present when I try to record a DVR recording to my Sony VRD-MC6 recorder. The strange thing is that it seems to record "live" broadcasts OK, it's just when I try to do a program that was previously recorded on the DVR that the signal disappears.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by dlcampbe
    Well, I guess this answers the question of where my DirecTV DVR recording signal went, "the "do not record" signal" must be present when I try to record a DVR recording to my Sony VRD-MC6 recorder. The strange thing is that it seems to record "live" broadcasts OK, it's just when I try to do a program that was previously recorded on the DVR that the signal disappears.
    Your DirectTV source is marked copy-once. The DVR recording is your one copy. When you play it back it is marked copy-never so the DVD recorder won't copy it. Live TV is still marked copy-once so the DVD recorder will record it. If you play that DVD recording the output will be marked copy-never. Another recorder would refuse to copy it.

And all have to pay extra for this feature.

http://www.eff.org/issues/broadcast-flag
    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2005/07/microsoft-sells-out-public-cgms

http://w2.eff.org/IP/broadcastflag/three_minute_guide.php

the Broadcast Flag as only the first step in a three-step plan. The next step is to lock down all devices that can create digital media from the world around us, like scanners, digital cameras, digital audio recorders, tuner cards, etc... The final step is to lock down the Internet itself, so that anyone making software would have to get it approved first
    Step one was shot down but Hollywood keeps lobbying for it. Step 2 has already been implemented. Step three is getting close:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Intellectual_Property_Organization_Copyright_Treaty
    http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/11/leaked-acta-internet-provisions-three-strikes-and-
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12/15/eu_ratifies_copyright_treaty/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dlcampbe
    It must be your sony dvd recorder. I can record from my directv hd-dvr on my Panasonic DMR-ES25. Must just be the newer dvd recorders that respond to the "do not record" flag.
    Quote Quote