VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hi ...
    how can i convert these formats to MP3 without quality decreasing ?!

i know its nearly impossible ... but i want the best result ...
    thanks ...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you'll be converting from a lossless source to a lossy format, there will be data loss, along with the original quality..How much depends on what encoder, bitrate settings,equip playback etc will be used..Highest quality setting is Lame mp3 at 320kbps CBR..However, for me that's over-kill, and IMO, you might as well stick to lossless..Try Lame -VO ~220-260 kbps, which may just be transparent to your ears from the original lossless source..
    Actually, I would start at -V5 128-150kbps and work your way up..You just may be surprised..

There are several tools/apps to achieve this..Try foobar2k, a bit daunting at first but it's what I normally use..
    Or LameXP, dBpoweramp..
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @t0nee1 - I do agree max bitrate isn't always necessary but unless the original poster has a need for saving space I would still use it. When I do rips I use max bitrate all the time (be it wma or mp3 for my zune).

I guess what I'm getting at is unless you need to save space for limited room there isn't a reason not to go max these days (like I said if your memory card or hdd based mp3 player is crammed then yes go lower to save space but the lower you go you won't get as good as you could - though obviously that is determined by your own perception).

Basically test out different bitrates on the equipment you will be using. You will need to balance the quality results with the storage space you have available.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. My minimum bitrate is 160kbps. I sometimes go for 192kbps. I use constant bitrate. I've had weird problems in the past with vbr mp3's. I don't know if there is a one-step app that will go from flac or ape to mp3. I think Lame is the best encoder for mp3, but I am not sure if it will encode from flac or ape though. If you have to make an additional step, Trader's Little Helper will convert to wav and then you can encode to mp3 from there. RazorLame is a good Lame front end.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, of course yoda313..The lower you go the lower the quality..However, if the listener cannot hear a difference from the original, well then that to me, makes sense..I mean aside from the obvious data loss, if they can't hear a difference, what exactly will they be missing?...If the OP has no HDD space issue, then yeah, I agree use whatever max setting/highest quality suits their ears... 8)
    I usually use Lame -V2 192kbps or Nero AAC -q 0.55 ~195kbps for my portables, and only flac lossless for archiving..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @t0nee1 - actually I even mentioned its up to the users perception on what is best. I agree that it is up to you to decide how much is enough.

Heck I remember using 64kpbs mp3 on my first diamond rio sd card mp3 player to cram another album or two on to the 256mb sd cards I was using. Its just if you have room why not go max?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its just if you have room why not go max?
    I agree!..And with that, rock on dude!..
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    I don't know if there is a one-step app that will go from flac or ape to mp3. I think Lame is the best encoder for mp3, but I am not sure if it will encode from flac or ape though.
    FFmpeg can decode both flac and ape and uses the lame encoder. Lots of gui's available (including mine).
    Quote Quote