VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have just purchased a Sony Home Theatre System and unlike the previous Sony DVDs I have purchased this one is not region-free. Would love to know how /whether this blu ray system can be made region-free. Would be great if I could play a sizeable number of the DVD I have bought on trips to Europe.

Thanks!
    nicho1001
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Not likely. Almost no BluRay players can be made region free. Add to that the fact that Sony players of all types are among the most difficult in the world to make region free and that combo systems like DVD/VHS and home theater systems almost never can be made region free, well, it's not likely that you will be able to unlock this player.

Note that if you somehow beat these incredible odds and someone has a code to unlock your player for DVD playback, that in no way removes BluRay region restrictions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Disappointing new, but really appreciate the feedback jman98

nicho1001
    nicho1001
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update with regard to my new Sony Blu-ray Home Theatre System... I was recently able to confirm that it is illegal in my country for such devices to be made region-specific and as such Sony have kindly made it region-free! Great news!
    nicho1001
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nicho1001
    Just an update with regard to my new Sony Blu-ray Home Theatre System... I was recently able to confirm that it is illegal in my country for such devices to be made region-specific and as such Sony have kindly made it region-free! Great news!
    Did you send it back to Sony or did they give you instructions?....or a disc to insert to make it region free?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had purchased the system from a Sony Style retail store in Newmarket, Auckland. Sony Style stores are owned by Sony New Zealand. When I realised that it was not multi-region, as the three other Sony DDVD players that I have owned were I sent them a very curt e-mail reminding them that it was illegal for them to sell a machine that is not region-free... the same day I received a phone call[two in fact from two different representatives] from Sony NZ asking me to take the unit to the Sony Solutions Centre here in Auckland. I dropped it in the next morning and had it back the same night!
    nicho1001
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting. Thank you for the reply.
    Quote Quote