VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Years ago, I used Pinnacle, but I have not done any video since. It was work cam and software. I’ve never owned a video cam. I have a Canon HV30 on a brown truck as I type. I will play with Windows Movie Maker till the beginning of next month when I’ll have the $$ for software. On top of my list is Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack. It seems to be very popular, and I should be able to slide right into it since I’ve had experience editing videos. I only have two questions so far I just can’t seem to find info on, not that these questions will be a deal breaker.

1. I’ve seen the screen shot on their web site. The background is white. Is there an option to change it to gray?

2. Is it possible to rearrange the work space, so that the time lines are on the bottom?
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased this software and so far I'm loving it. I will see if I can figure out how to change the background color (if possible) and moving of the timelines. I'll get back to you if I can figure it out.
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. This is the software I will probably go with, as it seems to be the most popular in the forums, but I’m used to having the time lines on the bottom, and was just wondering if moving them is possible. I know it is with the Pro version, but not sure about Studio 9 Platinum Pro. Reading the specs here leads me to believe not, but still leaves a question.

And, of course if the white background can be changed to a shade of gray. Easier on the eyes.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've also been very happy with Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack. It's doesn't have all the features that the Pro version has and you do have the limited encoder, but the editor is great. I have also found that even though the encoder is limited, you can still save as DV, then open in DVD Architect and have it render a DVD at what ever rate you want. I think Movie Studio is limited to about 6000 bps, but I've done 9500 in DVD Architect. It meets my needs currently at a good price.

PS - I can move the timeline from bottom to top. Not sure about the colors.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Excellent. Thanks for the info on moving the time line. I’m sure I’ll be happy with Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack. The screen shot of the program on their website shows the background as being an off white. It would be nice if it could be changed to a little darker gray, but moving the time line was more of a concern.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried downloading the evaluation copy? You can try before you buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by thomasj
    Have you tried downloading the evaluation copy? You can try before you buy.
    I thought I’d mentioned that, but I see I didn’t. Evaluation downloads are something I always do with new software, and Vegas would be no exception. I’m putting all my focus on Vegas right now, as it seems to be the most popular, and widely used. I want to play with the cam for a while before I start focusing on software, and I won’t have the cam till the middle of next week. I’ll use Windows Movie Maker to mess around with for a few days, then download the trial. Unfortunately, our forecast for the next 10 days is rain. Not very promising for using the cam. So, in the meantime, I’m just asking questions on stuff I’d like to know ahead of time.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I heard that if you installed the evaluation version and then purchase the full package that it won't install correctly due to already having the eval installed. Be aware of this!!

The only things I've encountered so far is trying to load videos I recorded off my DVR in HD and in the .ts format. It won't load and closes Vegas. I'm wondering, do I need to convert it to mpeg before it will work or what?
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbanimal
    I thought I heard that if you installed the evaluation version and then purchase the full package that it won't install correctly due to already having the eval installed. Be aware of this!!

not true. the eval download is the full version and all it needs is the key/activation to turn on all features.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss
    not true. the eval download is the full version and all it needs is the key/activation to turn on all features.
    That is probably correct. Even Photoshop works that way, as most software Demos today are that way. I do not expect any problems downloading, using till I get my next check, then purchasing online, and receiving the unlock key via email, and keep right on using uninterupted.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, my bad. Some of the reviews said NOT to do the eval due to problems with the main install. I couldn't tell you based on experience.
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does anyone know how long the Demo of Vegas lasts? I know the typical time for most software demos is 30 days, but there is zero info on the Vegas site on this, and I can not find the info by searching this site. I ask because I don’t want the demo to expire before I can afford to purchase it, which will be sometime after January 1.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought that Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack was just about all an enthusiast could want, this side of spending a fortune, but then I found that it doesn't even feature scopes/histograms?! *sigh*

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp/compare
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wingspar
    Does anyone know how long the Demo of Vegas lasts? I know the typical time for most software demos is 30 days, but there is zero info on the Vegas site on this, and I can not find the info by searching this site. I ask because I don’t want the demo to expire before I can afford to purchase it, which will be sometime after January 1.
    I'm pretty sure it expires 30 days later--to the hour.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJ Peg
    I thought that Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro Pack was just about all an enthusiast could want, this side of spending a fortune, but then I found that it doesn't even feature scopes/histograms?! *sigh*

Very true...

I would like this along with the better encoder, but it's still a nice package. I don't have the money for the full version...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure it expires 30 days later--to the hour.
    Yes, I downloaded the Vegas Demo, and it lasts for 30 days. I just needed the demo to last till I get my next check at the beginning of the month. Plenty of time in the Demo. Now, for the learning curve. I have extensive use of Pinnacle Studio 8.0 several years ago, but Vegas is quite a bit different. Splitting events with Pinnacle, and even Windows Movie Maker is simple, but I haven’t figured it out yet with Vegas. Split an event, and it leaves a big gap in the time line. Haven’t figured out how to get rid of that gap yet.
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJ Peg

Very true...

I would like this along with the better encoder, but it's still a nice package. I don't have the money for the full version...
    Bummer, you missed out on the $40 mail-in rebate they had through Newegg. I was able to get the full version for $49.99 (after rebate) and free shipping!! Worth every penny so far!
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would any of you happen to know the solution to my problem from this thread?

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic377167.html
    dbanimal
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A new question. Figured I’d use my old thread again. I’ve been using the Demo of Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro a little bit. I ordered the CD from Newegg, as it was considerably cheaper than ordering from Sony, and it should be here in two days. At the bottom of this page http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/moviestudiopp, it says 1,001 Sound Effects is part of the package. I tried looking for these sound affects today, and could not find them. How does one find them?
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is vegas movie studio platinum and there is also the vegas movie studio platinum pro pack. the pro pack includes sound forge studio and the extras. the extras are not included in the demo, but should be on the cd.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Nothing anywhere on the Sony site does it say the Demo is anything but the full version. The CD will be here tomorrow, so I’ll install the extras. Do you know if there is a way to just install the extras from the CD, and not have to reinstall the software, as I suspect the CD will be version 9.0, and my Demo is 9.0b (Build92).
    Gary
    Will Fly for Food
    Quote Quote