VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Canon HV10 (HD DV camcorder) and I want to capture my home movies to a format that is lossless and is hence good for archiving purposes.
    Once this camcorder does not work any more I like to have a copy of the content in good quality format. I have tried HDV Split and I am assuming it is lossless capture. Is that correct?
    Also If HDV Split is the way to go should I split the scenes or not? We are talking about 40-50 tapes here. The split scenes are going to be a hassles in terms of organizing them in the order (I think). Any thoughts?

My purpose for archive is also that I like to play them on my TV (ideally in the .m2t format). I heard the WD Media player plays this format nicely. So I have my losless format for archive and future editing and I can also play it on the TV.

Any one has similar issues or experiences

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want a lossless copy of what's on the tape, it can only be 1440x1080 MPEG-2. Typically this is m2t (MPEG-2 transport stream), which is fine. This is what HDVsplit does.

Splitting files shouldn't scramble the order - assuming you use a suitable file naming scheme (e.g. YYYY-MM-DD HH.MM.SS) they'll be in shooting order simply by listing the files in filename order. Just drop the lot into an NLE, and they should remain that way.

I think some versions of Vegas have an issue with HDVsplit files. The version I'm using (latest, cheapest!) is fine, as are most other NLEs.

I have 73 tapes (and counting!) captured via HDVsplit. Only problems I have are dropped frames if I forget to kill certain background tasks on my PC when capturing. Same issue with DV.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply. At least I am sure now that I am capturing them correctly. Editing is a different issue which I have to wait to have time for.
    TiVO HD still rocks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. "nashmarkt"] I heard the WD Media player plays this format nicely.
    yes it does.I own the HV20 + a WD LIVE TV.just be sure you format the external hardrive from FAT32 to NTFS(FAT 4GB limit)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MJA, so do you split the capture or keep it as one file? How does the WD live behave using either split or not split files?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. one file(4GB = 12 to 13 min I think using HDVsplit) no hiccups/freeze . I didn't format my external drive yet because my philips dvd player with USB can't read NTFS

if you have a large collection of HDV tapes.buy an external hard drives specially for that
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am planning to get 1 500gb portable drive and the WD TV live. THe drive should cover me for now until I have captured all my tapes. THen I have to move to another drive. I am also going to get a 2 TB external drive to back up the portable ones.
    Now the only issue I have to solve is that I am all Mac house and MAc can not write to NTFS.
    Hmm, so I might stay with split files for now to keep the size of files under the limit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One more question, How does the WD display higher resolution photos (6meg Pixel or higher) on HDTV? Does it show them in high resolution?
    My Tivo HD currently shows photos from my Mac but it is SD and not HD.
    TiVO HD still rocks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I didn't try that yet. you can ask stiltman for more info about the WD TV

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic374280.html

or check http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php
    Quote Quote