VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So i been fulling around with a lot of files using handbrake to do most of the conversion. As of right now, i'm converting them to a mp4 file to watch with a computer at full screen; but i also want these files to be compatible with other devices such as iPhone, PS3 and xbox360 without recoding them. Here are the specs.

resolution 672x384, FPS= 29.97. AAC audio with 48000 sample rate with 160kbit.

The only reason why i went with MP4 is because i've read somewhere that the ps3 and xbox 360will be able to read them. please correct me if i'm wrong. when i change the extension to m4v so that it can be read with itunes, i cant drag it to the iphone.

when i use the iphone profile under handbrake, it works fine, but the resolution is pretty bad to watch with a computer. i assume the same will go with a ps3 or xbox since the resolution is small for the iphone.

I had a m4v file i purchased from itunes that looks good on the computer and i was able to drag it to my iPhone without a problem. No recoding or anything.

So my question is what is the best specs to use that is friendly with itunes (drag and drop); and good quality on fullscreen computer and PS3 and xbox360?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since you want to be able to play on all three platforms (iPhone, PS3, 360), you'll have to encode for the lowest common denominator. In your case, the iPhone. If I remember correctly the iPhone only supports h264 baseline profile up to 640x480 resolution, 1.5mbps video bitrate (might be 2.5 can't remember), and AAC audio of 160kbps max. Since your file is 672x384, you'll have to re-encode the video following the above guidelines. There's just no other way around it as the iPhone just doesn't have to hardware to play anything of better quality. Although, the files should work on the PS3 and 360 as well if encoded correctly.

As for video quality at full screen...well that depends on the quality of the source video and the viewer preferences or expectations of the video being played. Essentially, the newly encoded video is only going to look possibly as good as the source but definitely not better since there is quality loss with any conversion of one format/codec/resolution to another.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks that made a lot of sense.. the video i purchased from itunes was 640x360. I think the first video i tried converting it didn't work possibly because of video bitrate. I will play with it some more and see what i can come up with. Really appreciate the help.

as for quality, its like you said, i will just have to find a common denominator. The video i purchased from itunes wasn't that bad full screen, but the file size to quality ratio doesn't compare to a lower file size at higher bitrate. At least i dont think.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so i tried to convert a dvd to with the specs uptop and still no luck with itunes. Its funny how the video i buy from them added to the iphone without converting. i cant seem to get handbrake to make a video that would drag and drop into the iphone besides the iphone profile which the resolution is small.. sucks..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had the same problems with itunes not accepting a video that i encoded that I knew for sure had the right settings. Just one of the other reasons i loathe itunes. Perhaps an alternative software will let you copy the videos onto your iPhone.
    Quote Quote