VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a MP4 player, primarily for playing mpeg2 videos. Mpeg2 recorded from DVB-S (satellite) is ok. But mpeg2
    converted from AVI (by Super application) has out-of-sync sound. It is firmware problem, but workaround exists - the way to produce good file is to use 'MEncoder' option (not 'ffmpeg'!) with 48K sound in Super. So far so good, but another problem - the TV-Out from the player can't set the picture format (4:3, 16:9, 4:3 letterbox), it always stretches video to 4:3. Thats bad for 16:9 videos. So I would like to convert my 16:9 mpeg2 files to 4:3 letterbox (black bars on top and bottom encoded in picture). And there goes problem with Super - Crop/Pad option is enabled only with 'ffmpeg', no chance to do it with 'MEncoder'. Does anybody have any ideas how to do it? Does exist some other utility which can simply convert mpeg2 16:9 to mpeg2 4:3 letterbox? Slight loss of quality after encoding is tolerated.

Or better - does anybody know what's the difference between 'MEncoder' and 'ffmpeg'? What can be so different in encoded files, so the sound is out-of-sync? Can this be changed/repaired afterwards?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Different encoders. Personally, I ditched SUPER a long time ago. There are far better options. Xvid4PSP, MeGUI - even Any Video Converter in some cases.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many thanks, Xvid4PSP is great. Everything I missed in Super is there. Every created mpeg2 is flawless. Only one imperfection - I cannot save batch of tasks for later processing. But I can live without that. Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Different encoders. Personally, I ditched SUPER a long time ago. There are far better options. Xvid4PSP, MeGUI - even Any Video Converter in some cases.
    Same here: Ditched Super as it was not super any more...

There are a few different versions of Xvid4PSP (especially since the official developer has stopped with it, and custom versions started to appear). The latest versions allow to make batch processing of files (not sure about saving batch tasks).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can batch process with Xvid4PSP, but unfortunately you cannot build the batch, save it, then come back later. Unless this has been added to the new version 6 beta,
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote